How many Jehovah's Witnesses are born of God as described in 1 John 5:1-13? All of them or only the anointed?

"Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God... God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life." I know that Jehovah's Witnesses believe only 144,000 people since the time of Jesus are... show more "Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God... God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life."

I know that Jehovah's Witnesses believe only 144,000 people since the time of Jesus are anointed and have a heavenly hope. There are about 9,000 of them left. They are in the new covenant and Jesus Christ is their mediator. But what about the other 7.1 million Jehovah's Witnesses who are not anointed, who are not in the new covenant and do not have Jesus Christ as their mediator?

1 John chapter 5 clearly says that EVERYONE who believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God and that God will give them eternal life. However, I've heard it said by Jehovah's Witnesses that the promises of salvation in the New Testament apply only to the anointed, those with a heavenly calling.

I would appreciate some clarification on how Jehovah's Witnesses apply 1 John chapter 5 - does this part of the Bible exclude everyone who is not part of the 144,000?
Update: This question is not asking Jehovah's Witnesses to defend their doctrine that only 144,000 people since the time of Jesus have a heavenly hope. If anyone cares to read the question properly, it is simply asking if ALL Jehovah's Witnesses can say they are born of God or if only the existing remnant (some... show more This question is not asking Jehovah's Witnesses to defend their doctrine that only 144,000 people since the time of Jesus have a heavenly hope. If anyone cares to read the question properly, it is simply asking if ALL Jehovah's Witnesses can say they are born of God or if only the existing remnant (some 9,000) can make that claim.

If you are not an anointed Jehovah's Witness, are you born of God?
Update 2: This question is not asking Jehovah's Witnesses to defend their doctrine that only 144,000 people since the time of Jesus have a heavenly hope. If anyone cares to read the question properly, it is simply asking if ALL Jehovah's Witnesses can say they are born of God or if only the existing remnant (some... show more This question is not asking Jehovah's Witnesses to defend their doctrine that only 144,000 people since the time of Jesus have a heavenly hope. If anyone cares to read the question properly, it is simply asking if ALL Jehovah's Witnesses can say they are born of God or if only the existing remnant (some 9,000) can make that claim.

Update 3: I agree with keiichi entirely! But you did not say if every J.W. is a born-again son of God. Is that because only 9,000 out of 7.1 million can make this claim? I agree with Ceraphina when she says that for anyone to have eternal life they must be born-again and that those who are born-again have assurance of... show more I agree with keiichi entirely! But you did not say if every J.W. is a born-again son of God. Is that because only 9,000 out of 7.1 million can make this claim?

I agree with Ceraphina when she says that for anyone to have eternal life they must be born-again and that those who are born-again have assurance of their heavenly inheritance. They have been baptised in water and are born-again by God's Holy Spirit. We agree!

Where we disagree is in the interpretation of John 10:15. Jesus came to save the lost sheep of Israel - all those Jews who come to believe Jesus is the Christ. The other sheep are all those Gentiles who come to believe Jesus is the Christ. There is only ONE Shepherd, ONE flock and ONE salvation. Must the other sheep be born again too? Absolutely, categorically, emphatically YES!

The great crowd in Revelation 7 are where? They are in heaven, along with the symbolic 144,000, and they too are before the throne of God. ALL of them!
Update 4: Where in the Bible does it say that you can be a true Christian but not be born again with the Holy Spirit? Angelmusic, if you have been excluded from the new covenant, then Jesus Christ is not your mediator and you are not saved. Anyone who is not in the new covenant does not have Jesus Christ as their mediator -... show more Where in the Bible does it say that you can be a true Christian but not be born again with the Holy Spirit? Angelmusic, if you have been excluded from the new covenant, then Jesus Christ is not your mediator and you are not saved. Anyone who is not in the new covenant does not have Jesus Christ as their mediator - they have not received forgiveness for their sins, they have no assurance of salvation. I understand that most Jehovah's Witnesses are excluded from the new covenant.

Lifelong Student, am I to understand from your answer that 1 John 5 was NOT written for 99.9% of Jehovah's Witnesses then?

1 John 5:1 does NOT say that Jesus is born of God. It says that everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ, is born of God.
Update 5: Tom, there is no attempt on my part to demean your faith. I am desperately worried for the 99.9% of Jehovah's Witnesses who are not born again and who are not in the new covenant. According to what I've read in my Bible, if you are not born again you cannot claim to be a son (or a daughter) of God - you are... show more Tom, there is no attempt on my part to demean your faith. I am desperately worried for the 99.9% of Jehovah's Witnesses who are not born again and who are not in the new covenant. According to what I've read in my Bible, if you are not born again you cannot claim to be a son (or a daughter) of God - you are not in God's family! Steinbeck's answer makes it crystal clear.