Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 1 decade ago

Dark and meaningful quotes?

What are some good dark and meaningful quotes?

Quotes like:

Nothing but a dream within a dream - Edgar Allan Poe

or

My dreams were blood, my hands were blades, and it was murder murder all over the place - Lucille Clifton

It doesn't even have to be dark or eerie just as long as it's wise, deep, and meaningful. I'm looking for a range/ variety of quotes that could apply to anyone or anything for stories I'm writing.

15 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best answer

"I'm tired of hope, and I'm tired of gallant lost causes. Shake your fist at the sky and you draw back a stump."

-Peter S. Beagle

"Destiny does not send us heralds. She is too wise or too cruel for that."

-Oscar Wilde

"I have the two qualities required to see absolute truth; I am brilliant and unloved."

-Doctor Who.

Source(s): "A Fine and Private Place" "The Picture of Dorian Gray" "Doctor Who"
  • 3 years ago

Dark Meaningful Quotes

• 4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Dark and meaningful quotes?

What are some good dark and meaningful quotes?

Quotes like:

Nothing but a dream within a dream - Edgar Allan Poe

or

My dreams were blood, my hands were blades, and it was murder murder all over the place - Lucille Clifton

It doesn't even have to be dark or eerie just as long as...

Source(s): dark meaningful quotes: https://shortly.im/s646W
  • bored
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

hmm..i don't know many good quotations but i'll try. i assume you're looking for something different than what's on the internet because you could just do that yourself.

"The purpose of education is to turn mirrors into windows." Sydney J Harris

In every cloud there is a silver lining, but with every silver lining there is a cloud

"Cover her face; mine eyes dazzle; she died young" Webster, Duchess of Malfi

all's well that ends well; if it's not well, it's not the end

"No, I don't feel right in my skin

So I don't feel anything at all"

The Graduate, Anhedonia

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Heath Ledger: "I never had money- so I was happy without it; and when I die I can't take it with me anyway.

Marilyn Monroe: " I'm not interested in money- I just want to be 'wonder-full'."

Heath Ledger: (Brokeback Mountain)"It's disappointing to find how so many people are repulsed by the way two people love one another." After I'm dead and gone, let audiences

judge what kind of person I was by my performances."

Marilyn Monroe: "Hollywood is a place where [they] pay you $1000.00 for a pic and $0.50 for your soul."

Dolly Parton: "I was the first woman to burn my bra- and it took firemen 4 days to put it out."

Source(s): MM Bio; Heath Ledger interviews.
  • Nancy
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

History teaches us that men and nations behave wisely once they have exhausted all other alternatives. I have no idea who said mine. I'm not sure this is my favorite, either. My bedroom wall is decorated COMPLETELY with quotes. I love them. Wait....... this one is better: Humans have the tendency to build something up slowly over time and then destroy it all at once. Actually, that's by me! I used it in seventh grade in a response to the book Gathering Blue.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

OMG, i love quotes! Here's some that i have:

"Never hesitate if you know it's right."

"Thinking its impossible makes it so."

"An unexplained life is not worth living."

"If you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, its yours."

"Divinity is only in the eye of the beholder."

"Acceptance is seeing with your heart, not your eyes."

I have a few more, but they don't really fit the category, they are kind of personal.

Anyway, hope i helped! :]

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

There is one quote that is noted for being applicable in every possible situation within Human experience: "This, too, shall pass away".

• 1 decade ago

"For man, unlike any other thing organic or inorganic in the universe, grows beyond his work, walks up the stairs of his concepts, emerges ahead of his accomplishments."

John Steinbeck ^_^

• Haaris
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Well, listen to any song by Nirvana or the Doors, or read books by Nietzsche, Camus, Kafka etc. to have more than your share of meaningful quotes. I am posting a few here.

"Broken hymen of your highness, I'm left back

Throw down your umbilical noose so I can climb right back"

From the song "Heart Shaped Box" by Nirvana

"I am worst at what I do best

And for this gift I feel blessed."

From the song "Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana

"The lady whom I feel maternal love for

Cannot look me in the eyes

But I see hers and they are blue

And they cock and twitch and masturbate!"

From the song "Paper Cuts" by Nirvana

"Somewhere I have heard this before

In a dream my memory stored

As defense I'm neutered and spayed

What the hell am I trying to say?

Maybe its time to make it unclear

To write off lines that don't make sense"

From the song "On a Plain" by Nirvana

"Once I had, a little game

I liked to crawl back into my brain

I think you know the game I mean

I mean the game called 'go insane'

Now you should try this little game

Just close your eyes forget your name

Forget the world forget the people

And we'll erect a different steeple

This little game is fun to do

Just close your eyes no way to lose

And I'm right there I'm going to

Release control we're breaking through"

From the song "The celebration of the Lizard King" by the Doors.

"All that exists is just and unjust and equally justified in both"

From the book "Faust" by Wolfgang van Goethe

"He had decided to live forever or die in the attempt, and his only mission each time he went up was to come down alive."

From the book "Catch-22" by Joseph Heller

"There was only one catch and that was Catch-22, which specified that a concern for one's own safety in the face of dangers that were real and immediate was the process of a rational mind. Orr was crazy and could be grounded. All he had to do was ask; and as soon as he did, he would no longer be crazy and would have to fly more missions. Orr would be crazy to fly more missions and sane if he didn't, but if he was sane he had to fly them. If he flew them he was crazy and didn't have to; but if he didn't want to he was sane and had to. Yossarian was moved very deeply by the absolute simplicity of this clause of Catch-22 and let out a respectful whistle."

"'What is a country? A country is a piece of land surrounded on all sides by boundaries, usually unnatural. Englishmen are dying for England, Americans are dying for America, Germans are dying for Germany, Russians are dying for Russia. There are now fifty or sixty countries fighting in this war. Surely so many counties can't all be worth dying for.'"

"It's always darkest before it turns absolutely pitch black."

by Paul Newman

I could go on, but I think this is more than enough for here.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.