Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsCancer · 1 decade ago

Breast Cancer at age 20?

Today my younger sister was diagnosed with breast cancer at the age of 20. We are all very frightened. It has been a long day. Can anyone share their experiences with me? I know it is very rare that someone her age gets this disease, but it does happen. I have done my own research and it is frightening what is said about younger women getting breast cancer. She just graduated from college with a degree in graphic design and does not have health insurance. On her behalf I would like for anyone to tell me the names of non-profit organizations as well that could help us out as a family. Keep us in your prayers. maybe even support groups of young people dealing with this disease and other forms of diseases. God bless and thank you!

Favorite Answer

I add my prayer to yours daddy's girl. You and I are both prayer warriors doing spiritual battle for this young lady. Hello, it is very rare for a twenty year old to be diagnosed with breast cancer. however it is not the death sentence it once was. Better drugs, better treatments and more types of treatment - including hormone therapy. Some chemo can even be done at home as pills.

With regard to your request. I believe you will find this helpful.

Health Insurance and Financial Assistance for the Cancer Patient

As a cancer patient, you may have financial resourcesavailable to you, including health insurance, government programs, disability benefits, aid from voluntary organizations, and living benefits from life insurance policies, including viaticals (viaticals are explained later on in this document). If you have no medical insurance, there are other options.

This article covers the following topics:

private health insurance

government-funded insurance plans

options if you are uninsured

financial issues

list of states with health insurance risk pools

additional resources

Private health insurance

Health insurance coverage helps with the medical costs that come with the diagnosis and treatment of an illness. It is important to have and keep good medical coverage. This can help you avoid financial hardship. Many patients have private insurance through employee group plans or individual plans. It is important to have accurate information and a good understanding of your financial situation and insurance coverage. It is very important to pay your monthly insurance premiums.

Types of health insurance plans

There are many types of health insurance plans. Here are very brief descriptions of the different plans:

Fee-for-service plans

If you have this type of health insurance, you can choose any doctor, change doctors any time, and go to any hospital anywhere in the United States. You pay a monthly fee, called a premium. Every year, you also have to pay a certain amount of money (known as the deductible) before your insurance will start to pay your medical expenses. After you have met your deductible, your insurance will pay a set percentage of the bill. You may have to fill out forms and send them to your insurer to get reimbursed (paid back) for medical costs you have already paid. Sometimes the doctor's office will do this for you, and then send you a bill for whatever your insurance didn't cover. You also need to keep receipts for drugs and other medical costs. You are responsible for keeping track of your own medical expenses.

Health Maintenance Organizations (HMO)

The HMO will usually cover most expenses after a minimal co-payment. HMOs may limit your choice of providers to those within their approved provider network.

Point-of-Service Plans (POS)

A point of-service plan is a type of HMO. The primary care doctors in a POS plan usually make referrals to other doctors in the plan.

If your doctor refers you to a doctor out of the network, the plan will still pay all or most of the bill. But if you choose a doctor outside the network and the service is covered by the plan, you will have to pay co-insurance. Co-insurance is the amount you must pay in addition to what the insurance company will pay. It is usually a certain percent of the cost, for example the insurance company may pay 80% of the bill and you have to pay the other 20%.

Preferred Provider Organization (PPO)

The preferred provider organization is a combination of traditional fee-for-service and an HMO. Like an HMO, there are only a certain number of doctors and hospitals you can use. When you use those doctors (sometimes called "preferred" providers, other times called "network" providers), most of your medical bills are covered. When you don’t use these providers, the PPO makes you pay more of the bill out of your own pocket.

Other things to know about health insurance

Catastrophic illness clauses

There are many expenses associated with the management of most cancers. Some insurance plans provide for additional coverage under a "catastrophic illness" clause. These are policies that cover major medical care needs. The policies usually have a very high deductible and fairly low premiums. They are useful when a person's primary medical policy has a lifetime limit and are appealing to people with chronic illnesses. Check to see if your plan contains such coverage.

Pre-existing condition exclusions

If you are a cancer patient and join a new health insurance plan, you may face a "pre-existing condition exclusion period." A pre-existing condition is a health problem that you had before you joined your medical plan. With a pre-existing condition exclusion period, your plan will make you wait before they pay the costs of the pre-existing medical problem. The wait may be as long as a year for insurance you get through an employer.

There are certain employer-based insurance situations i

My son was diagnosed with testicular cancer at the age of 15. He has the proud designation of the being the youngest cancer patient when he had his chemo at Vanderbilt. This year marks his 7th year cancer free.

Have her get tested to find out if she is "HER-2 Positive." There is a drug that has been approved by the FDA that has been proven to be very successful on HER-2 Positive patients. Lifetime made a movie about the doctor who found the cure.

Even if she is not, there are great chemo drugs that work. Remember, it is the Quality of Life that matters, not the quantity. Cancer teaches us all the true values to embrace are love & compassion for one another.

This news does not mark an ending, but a beginning. . . .

God Bless

i have had cancer since 2006 and till this day they say it is slow growning, but not cureable. all they can do is to try to keep it from growning any further. but of this past april it has now mestestised to my bones. but as far as her insurance with non coverage, she will never be able to get insurance unless it is a graded insurance policy, which she will pay alot for and it will not be much coverage. once you have had cancer and even if they get all the cancer, there is no guarentee that it wont return. sorry! if she does get on diability in which dont think that she would qualify unless she has worked alot or earned alot of money to have paid in to social security, then she will not qualify for dissability, only ssi benifits. this is a cold and crule world out here. i was diagonised with cancer at the age of 46 and i am now on dissability and i draw not very much, but i and my husbands income excedes ssi by $100.00. and i had to wait 24 months for medicare to start paying and i promise you they dont pay that much when it comes to radiaiation or other specialisit. so sorry to hear about your sister, i will keep you and your family in my prayers.i hope the system will one day change, for all of us that are cancer patients.God bless

May God be with your sister and your family. I have just finished chemo in feb. and am only 36 it has absolutely no age limits. I wish your sister and family the best of luck and she can beat this.

• hanora

www.breastcancer.org has a discussion group especially for young women and there is a lot of good information at that site, including financial resources.

Sweety; I would be honored to pray for your sister.

Dear Heavenly Father I come to you and ask that if it be your will that you find financial assistance for this young lady. I ask that you guide the doctors and all concerned as they perform the surgery. Please guide their minds and hands as they do there work. I ask for comfort and strength for the young lady and for her family. Please Lord help this to draw them closer to you and let them feel your love and comfort. Father we love you and we know there is nothing to large or to small for you to handle. I know you will answer our prayers. I thank you Father for what you are about to do. I ask these things in Jesus Holy and Precious Name Amen.

† Concerned Prayer Warrior †

It is very sad news, hope all will happen good with your sister. You can visit this site http://www.newmesotheliomatreatments.com/breast-ca... as it has good information about breast cancer patients.