What do you call those mini-streets in Paris?

I was in Paris last week. Whenever I saw a busy street, I noticed that there are these mini-streets on both sides of the major street. Cars were parked there, but it was still wide enough to drive in. What are those things called?

The smaller streets on both sides of a major street are called "contre-allées" in French. Automatic translation tools translate this word with "service lane".

• Cabal

Ejta is right, those are called contre-allées. You usually find them along the huge boulevards. The Champs Elysees had them too but they were destroyed a few years back to make way for the extremely wide sidewalks you can see now.

Source(s): Parisian

I suspect they are just streets that you are talking about.

Paris is at its heart a medieval city. While there are now many wide boulevards there are also a lot of the much older streets which can be very narrow and often rather meandering.