What do you call those mini-streets in Paris?

I was in Paris last week. Whenever I saw a busy street, I noticed that there are these mini-streets on both sides of the major street. Cars were parked there, but it was still wide enough to drive in. What are those things called?

3 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Best answer

    The smaller streets on both sides of a major street are called "contre-allées" in French. Automatic translation tools translate this word with "service lane".

  • Cabal
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

    Ejta is right, those are called contre-allées. You usually find them along the huge boulevards. The Champs Elysees had them too but they were destroyed a few years back to make way for the extremely wide sidewalks you can see now.

    Source(s): Parisian
  • 1 decade ago

    I suspect they are just streets that you are talking about.

    Paris is at its heart a medieval city. While there are now many wide boulevards there are also a lot of the much older streets which can be very narrow and often rather meandering.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.