Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Games & RecreationVideo & Online Games · 1 decade ago

Do I need a 128MB Video Card with support for Pixel Shader 2.0 to play The Sims 3?

i just got the Sims 3 and i play it and it loads fine. but after about 2-5 min. my screen goes black and it says power mode or something, but i can hear my computer still running and the music to the game just stops and keeps repeating itself. like if it was supposed to say "have a good day" and when the computer does it's thing the music would stop and say "ay, ay, ay, ay" like the end of day. (it actually did not say have a good day!) i have had the Sims 2 and all the expansion packs on my computer before, but i did uninstall them.

PLEASE HELP ME. i have listed all the info below.

the system requirements for The Sims 3 game are:

2.0 GHz P4 processor or equivalent

1 GB RAM

6.1 GB of hard Drive space with at least 1 GB of additional space for custom content.

DirectX 9.0 compatible

I checked my computer and this is what i have:

System:

Microsoft Windows XP

Home Edition

Version 2002

Service Pack 3

Registerd to:

user

Computer:

Intel(r) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU

E4500 @ 2.20 GHz

2.19GHz, 1.00 GB of RAM

Then on the hard drive space i says:

on Local Disk (C:)

Total size:298 GB

Free Space: 273 GB

(so i can not think of any reason why the game would not run properly)

except for the part where it says that for video i need a

128 MB video car with support for pixel Shader 2.0

but i heard that your computer should have that in it if it is a new computer, mine just happens to be new, (at least that is what i think)

PLEASE HELP ME FIGURE THIS OUT. I REALLY WANT TO PLAY THIS GAME AFTER PAYING $70 FOR IT.

• Tymme

Right-click on the desktop and choose Properties.

Go to the far right tab and it will say (some monitor) on (your graphics card)- for example, "Viewsonic 15323XB on GeForce 4 MX 200".

If the graphics card is an Intel, you may not have the appropriate pixel shading technology on that chip. However, you would likely notice this from the beginning of the game, as most pixel shaders will be used on several textures and you would recongize this issue right away.

Once you find out what your graphics adapter is, search for the appropriate support website for driver downloads ( for example, http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-... for nVidia cards) and download the most recent version of your graphics adapter driver.

Otherwise, make sure you are not running extra processes you don't need; tere are often several extra programs clogging up memory that you can disable or quit to help prevent any extra clutter/conflicts. Search for a process list to find which ones are not really necessary.