Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

several questions on my faith?

okay i will have a couple of paragraphs so i will make it clear which each one is for so that you don't TM-DR (too much, didn't read)

First of all, i have NO problems with christianity, i just am a bit confused, this is not something i want you to respond to just want to make it clear im not attacking you guys, and i am not an atheist. i don't believe in evolution. and i am open minded to bible verses.

1. Weed/ marijuana/ pot/ cannabis.

Now i know coke, crack, acid, lsd and what not are bad and a sin because they melt your brain and can kill you, but weed can not, as much as you smoke of it, it will not kill you. The bible says that all herbs should be used to the fullest and weed is in fact an herb according to wikipedia and every where else i looked, the bible also says (or at least i heard it said) no herb should ever be outlawed, if this is true then it is a sin to forbid it, therefore making this an exception to the rule of obeying the government. so i ask you, with all that being said, do you think jesus/God, thinks ill of weed or supports it.

2. The christian faith in itself.

The christian faith is one of the most peaceful and loving religions around, but is this all caused by fear? think about it, if there was no hell then why would you be christian, there would be no point. for instance, if someone offered you a million dollars in this economy, you'd be appreciative, and thank the man, now if someone offered you a million dollars in an economy where everything was free there would be no point in such gift because it would not be needed, so if we need forgiveness to get eternal life then we are very appreciative, but if there was no hell and we got in heaven anyways, then what would be the point in worshiping someone who gave you something you already had? so basically its fear of hell that keeps our religion going, so it is entirely a fear based religion. that being said what separates this religion from say a youtube chain letter? (know those ones were they say that if you don't re post it you will be killed, well instead of re posting all you have to do is reply, and to get good luck you have to re post it) if you think about it the bible is pretty much a very long youtube chain letter, that goes into detail and is more believable (yes i know it has Altho more information and what not but you see what im saying.) and also there is no proof, its entirely faith based, so i am wondering what your opinions on my opinions are. so please tell me

more to come soon

*if you know a better site for this let me know and just btw, i am thirteen so take that into consideration when you criticize my religious opinions

1) You can still get cancer and emphysema from weed. It kills.

2) I'm not a Christian because I don't want to go to hell. I'm a Christian because I want to be like Jesus. BONUS!! I don't have to go to hell.

response to this,

1. yes weed can give cancer, if taken to much and too often, but, water also can cause brain cancer but thats obviously not a sin.

2. no, you dont really want to be like jesus, he did jail time, he was ridiculed, he wasnt just a nice guy he was a servant to everyone, is that really what you wanna do?

Cannabis is a flowering plant - not a herb.

try flowering herb. or atleast thats what wiki says

okay for all the poeple who said fear isn't part of it then look at it this way, i grew up in a small church and i sat in on our evangilisim lesson one year, and they did the way of the master, (deffinatly reccomend it to all pastors) now there way of evangilisim was very much fear oriented by first sharing the ten commandments and then by saying that would get them into hell adn then so forth with all the other info, but, if there were no hell and he said basically you are a sinner, BUT, our god forgives you so you get into heaven then that person wouldnt really live his or her life very differantly because there is no consiquence, now i know you say you dont worry about the fear, but would you be able to say that at the begining of your christian walk?

define sober minded

i appreciate your answer but i beleive you should know that evolution is not fact at all, it almost has as little evidenc as the bible, but, one thing i have realized is that if say a panda had a baby and it was somewhat disfigured, what would happen? the panda would kill its baby, as would most species, so i ask you this, if all deformed babies (or a majority) were killed/ neglected how would they ever start an entire new race?

2) Don't be so arrogant as to tell me why I follow Christ. I go where he sends me, even to my death. If I was willing to lay down my life for the country (veteran) how much more so for God!

please, lay down your life? you die and go some where better if all is true, if there was no heaven and no hell then you wouldnt follow him, simple as that, dont tell me im arrogent, when you become a christian you are "saved" and there would be nothing to be saved from, therefore meaning that there would almost be no christianity with no hell meaning it is a major componet in what makes up this faith, am i wrong?

I would bet it is not in the Bible about never outlawing any herb. I am going to give you some things to think about.

****************************

God has given man the eye of investigation by which he may see and recognize truth. He has endowed man with ears that he may hear the message of reality and conferred upon him the gift of reason by which he may discover things for himself. This is his endowment and equipment for the investigation of reality. Man is not intended to see through the eyes of another, hear through another's ears nor comprehend with another's brain. Each human creature has individual endowment, power and responsibility in the creative plan of God. Therefore depend upon your own reason and judgment and adhere to the outcome of your own investigation; otherwise you will be utterly submerged in the sea of ignorance and deprived of all the bounties of God. ... We must not be content with simply following a certain course because we find our fathers pursued that course. It is the duty of everyone to investigate reality, and investigation of reality by another will not do for us.

(Abdu'l-Baha, Foundations of World Unity, p. 76)

There can be no doubt whatever that the peoples of the world, of whatever race or religion, derive their inspiration from one heavenly Source, and are the subjects of one God. The difference between the ordinances under which they abide should be attributed to the varying requirements and exigencies of the age in which they were revealed.

(Baha'u'llah, Gleanings from the Writings of Baha'u'llah, p. 217)

The Jews await the Messiah, the Christians the return of Christ, the Moslems the Mahdi, the Buddhists the fifth Buddha, the Zoroastrians Shah Bahram, the Hindus the reincarnation of Krishna, and the Atheists - a better social organization! Baha'u'llah represents all these, and thus destroys the rivalries and the enmities of the different religions; reconciles them in their primitive purity, and frees them from the corruption of dogmas and rites. For the Baha'i Faith has no clergy, no religious ceremonial, no public prayers; its only dogma is belief in God and in his Manifestations (Zoroaster, Moses, Jesus, et al., Baha'u'llah).

(Abdu'l-Baha, Tablets of Abdu'l-Baha v1, p. vii)

A Bahá'í denies no religion; he accepts the Truth in all, and would die to uphold it. He loves all men as his brothers, of whatever class, of whatever race or nationality, of whatever creed or colour, whether good or bad, rich or poor, beautiful or hideous. He commits no violence; if he is struck he does not return the blow. He calls nothing bad, following the example of the Lord Bahá'u'lláh. As a safeguard against intemperance he does not drink wine or spirits. Bahá'u'lláh has said it is not good for a sane man to take that which will destroy his health and sense.

(Abdu'l-Baha, Abdu'l-Baha in London, p. 56)

Source(s): International and United States official sites: http://www.bahai.org http://www.bahai.us For an online version of a now out of print magazine giving an excellent overview of the Baha'i Faith, (except the statistics are out of date). A newer and different printed version is available. Contact your local Baha'i community for a copy. http://www.bahai.com/thebahais/ The next link is a statement on world peace http://info.bahai.org/article-1-7-2-1.html Basic principles from an unbiased, outside source: http://en.allexperts.com/q/Bah-2728/Bahai-principl... In the eyes of Baha'is and in their own words: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucUayw0cwjY&NR=1 Do you know about the twelve year old girl who silenced the world for five minutes? She is a Baha'i. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uACrQrzJGBM Do you know about Mona, the Angel of Iran? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABGKqaFSt0w&NR=1 Baha'i Ocean is a free multi-religion (nine altogether) study aid I highly recommend for virtually anyone studying religion. http://www.bahai-education.org/ocean/ The first African American Rhodes Scholar was a Baha'i http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alain_Locke

Hey I like that you are thinking and are putting your thoughts out there.

I agree with some of your thoughts and disagree with others. Here are my responses. Take them as you will, I hope it helps.

1st disagreement - Evolution is a fact. Research it a little and I am sure you may change your opinion. Don't get confused by misinformation, do the work on researching it yourself.

1st agreement - Weed should be legal for adults. I have never smoked a cigarette let alone weed, but to me it is really silly to have it illegal. Now if you drive a car under the influence you should go to jail, but smoke it in your own house should be permissible in a free country.

I don't believe in the supernatural so I don't think you need to worry about what God/Jesus would think. I have spent a lot of time researching religion, and I think that anyone who does outside the church teachings will come to a similar conclusion.

2nd Major disagreement - The christian religion is the most corrupt, evil and confrontational religions that have ever existed. I absolutely thought that it was a peaceful religion like you do until I read the Bible and researched history. Religion has been the cause of many deaths, and the Bible itself has many evil verses that were in God's name. There are so many I suggest you read the whole Bible, but look at 2 Kings 2:23-24 for an example were God himself kills 42 children because they called someone baldy. Maybe you will change you mind on this?

Strongly Agree - It is a fear based religion. Now think about how you said it was peaceful. Why would a peaceful religion have to threat good people with Hell just because they do not believe.

Why I don't believe? There is so much evidence that shows that stories in the Bible are not true. Science has proved much of it wrong. Many people have been killed in the name of religion, and the morals of the Bible are very questionable, unless you think owning slaves, killing non believers, gays are moral. It is also VERY sexist to women. This is a short list of why I do longer believe in any supernatural beings.

I wish you luck as you continue to fine answers. Whether you agree or disagree, just keep researching and learning as that is the way to fine the truth.

Source(s): Hi Jordan, I saw your response. I completely understand why you don't think evolution is a fact. Unfortunately many church leaders have taken this science and attacked it. It is science and I would hope that you would agree that you should fine your answers on whether it is true or not in a book written by real scientists, not religious organizations. Of Pandas and People is a religious propaganda book with an agenda to disprove evolution with misinformation, due to the fact that evolution is another fact that goes against the Bible. Along with the world being spherical and the Sun rotating around the earth. Here is a quote from a religious leader about the earth rotating around the Sun: "To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin." ~ Cardinal Bellarmine, at the trial of Galileo in 1615. Of course I would agree that the earth does rotate around the Sun and that a virgin birth is also very unlikely. I mean how many woman do you see getting pregnant without a man involved? I have researched evolution more than most and I have also researched religious leaders who say it is without evidence and even give awards for proof. The thing is 98% of biologists say evolution is a fact, and just so you know evolution theory is the explanation of these known facts. This is the same as gravity, magnets, atoms, cells, etc... There is a ton of real physical evidence for evolution in fossils and even DNA. The religious leaders that have those rewards for proof for evolution are very deceptive as they also ask for proof of abiogenesis and cosmogenesis which have nothing to do with evolution. Now God has none, zero, nadda, evidence. If anything logic will put huge holes in most of the Bible. I mean if it wasn't the Bible, would you literally believe that man was created from dirt, woman from a rib, a global flood when there is not enough H2O in the world for that, a boat that is way to small for the supplies let alone the animals, a virgin birth, a resurrection, Hell, Heaven, walking on water, parting the seas, and on and on and on. These things are not logical...think about a fairy tale and these have the same illogical things, yet you don't believe those. A giant beanstalk that goes into the clouds, a frog that turns into a prince, etc... Please do not take my word, or anyone elses word on these things. Research it yourself. Do not allow anyone to censor information or pressure you into believing one way another. You can email me with any questions or comments you have. You seem like an intelligent kid and very respectful also, and I will be more than happy to explain anything with the different perspective.
  • Vanity

To answer the first question. Marijuana is a herb and it has an original purpose that only God and maybe some Native Americans know about.

I heard that it was used as a healing agent and for smoking, but I am not sure. At one time, cocaine was used for medicinal purposes. You present a good argument for those trying to legalize it.

The second question should be that those wanting to please God not do so out of fear, but for the life that he originally was to give us.

I would rather live in peace, health, and happiness then how we are living in fear in our own piece of the world. now. That is what the true motivation is. Not heaven or hell.

2- The bible says the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. You got that right. But I would love God anyway because His love for me made me fall in love with Him.

#1-You got that wrong . The bible says that he gave us the herb to EAT. Not to the fullest. Marijuana used moderately when you are ill, just like wine, is beneficial. But being stoned is not. I grew up with weed addicts for parents and i promise you there wasn't anything beneficial about it. The bible also says do not be drunk with wine , which is excess but be filled with the spirit. It also says be sober, be vigilant because your adversary the devil walks the earth as a roaring lion seeking whom he may devour. If you are stoned you make it easy to be devoured.

the christian faith is not based on fear at all. obviously no one wants to go to hell so i guess that could be an advantage in believing but theres so many important and beautiful aspects about it. god can save you from all the bad out there. god blesses us in so many ways when we choose to follow him with all our hearts. why would you not want to honor the being that created everything we have and are. he has all power and knows everything we are going to do and all the desires of our hearts and if we seek him he will give those to us. he fulfills his promises. and saying that hell is a way of keeping the religion going is such a ridiculous statement because no one knows what hell is like anyway. its not about that its about building a relationship now and being blessed with his presence

• Katie

1.) I dont believe any one will go to hell for smoking weed. The bible says to treat youe body as a temple, so therefore putting something in your body that will do nothing but negative things to you, is probabyl not the best idea.

but then again, there are alot of things that we do that are not "good" for our bodies.

2.) I dont believe that I am a christian because of my fear in hell. I wasnt a christian untill my senior year in high school, and nothing about hell made me want to become one. yes it was a push sometimes to keep me straight, but I dont think it can be classified as one of the only driving forces to follow god.

Additional Answers:

1) Wake up kid!!

Your first and foremost and very dangerous problem....

I HEARD some one say it is in the bible.....

very bad to take someones word without having read it yourself, they could say anything and you could be fooled, just like Eve was tricked by satan.

Please show ME where God says to "use herbs to the fullest" and to alter your natural brain function

We are told to be sober minded:

Tit 2:6 Young men likewise exhort to be sober minded.

WE can "what if's" our selfs in so many ways to the end of our natural lives. But the truth is there is a heaven and hell

God will give us our reward...our payment for doing his work

:12 And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.

And satan shall give his reward, his payment for doing his work

Rom 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Rev 21:8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

Just like a child, I obeyed parents out of fear of the paddle (hell) but as I grew in understanding and mature love I no longer feared the paddle but feared hurting them.

Source(s): *Holy BIble

1. I honestly still do not know. I've ALWAYS wondered this. I guess the best thing we can do is to ask God if it is or not?

2. To some it is, others it isn't. To me, christianity is not about fear. God gave me life and I love him for that. God purposley gave no proof to the world that he is real. He's not stupid. If he gave proof, obviously everyone would beleive. And if everyone beleived, there would be no point to life. Life is a test of your faith. You have to have faith to beleive. That's what it's about.

Jordan, Christianity is the religion about the union of Spouses. Christ is our Divine Bridegroom, you,me, the Church, are His beloved Bride. Christ wants to impregnate us with His divine gift, the Holy Spirit.

We are created for a spiritual high, a true ectasy, This is God's divine life and love in us!

weed and drugs are counterfeit "highs" that never satify and are very damaging to us.

All you need to do is surrender to Christ, allow Him to love you. God bless you!

Source(s): baptised Catholic, theology of the body
  • John S

That religion is ONLY about getting to heaven and eternal life is one of the Heresies of Protestantism. -- That is to say, the idea that Christianity is ONLY about getting to heaven is an idea brought out of the Protestant Reformation.

Prior to Protestantism, "Salvation" was NOT merely going to heaven. It was much MORE then that.

It was just as much philosophical and spiritual as it was about Heaven.

Look back at the writings and teachings of the Christian forefathers from the 1st thru 4th centuries. You will see that "salvation" was part of what we experience here on Earth.

Salvation was about liberation from the slavery of sin and our carnal natures. It was about "communion" with God. It was about "forgiveness" It was a way of life, an attitude, all of which made life BETTER, here on Earth.

Protestantism, focussed on heavenly salvation. Now, in modern times, 90% of Christians ONLY think about heaven. BUT, if we go back in history, there was MUCH MORE to spirituality then merely getting a heavenly reward.

As a Catholic Christian, my faith is MUCH deeper then mere heavenly salvation. It is about Communion with God, reconcilliation, compassion for the relief of temporal suffering. It is as much a philosophy and a way of life, as it is about HEAVEN.

Heaven and Hell are but one part of Christian philosophy.

I hope you realize this.

There are roughly 1.2 billion Catholics in the world today.. making up about 2/3rds of Christianity.

Catholics see MUCH more to "salvation" then merely heaven and hell, it is about ending suffering, making the world a better place, and about re-aligning our priorities with God's so that we can liberate our minds and bodies from our own carnal limitations.

God Bless