Why does everyone insist that christians think the earth is 6,000 years old?

A day is like a thousand years to the Lord. 2 Peter 3:8 This leads me to believe that even though (according to some) the bible is nothing but a bunch of fairy tales. It seems that there may have been an understanding of relativity. E=mc2 type of stuff. Time is relative. For the sake of argument, say... show more A day is like a thousand years to the Lord. 2 Peter 3:8

This leads me to believe that even though (according to some) the bible is nothing but a bunch of fairy tales. It seems that there may have been an understanding of relativity. E=mc2 type of stuff. Time is relative.

For the sake of argument, say heaven is 60 billion light years away. I don't know I'm making up a number.

How can we determine that the earth isn't 6000 years old, if a day is only relative to where God is?

I'm a christian, and I know some don't like christians but I welcome your opinion as long as it is respectful.
Update: Mr. Puma - I see it all the time on this section where libs, atheist whatever always ask why do republicans/conservative only think the earth is only 6000 yrs old. I just thought I would address it and be the one asking the question for once.