Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Why are people saying that the bible taught that the earth is flat?

I've heard many times that people say the bible teaches the earth is flat, and that Christians taught the earth is flat. And they are right about one of those things. SOME Christians did teach the earth was flat, but that is not what the bible says. So don't use that to say the bible taught that the earth was flat.

Isaiah 40:21-22

It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in

If you are overlooking the ocean, the horizon appears as a circle. This circle on the horizon is described in Job 26:10. The circle on the face of the waters is one of the proofs that the Greeks used for a spherical earth. Yet here it is recorded in Job, ages before the Greeks discovered it. Job 26:10 indicates that where light terminates, darkness begins. This suggests day and night on a spherical globe.

The implication of a round earth is seen in the book of Luke, where Jesus described his return, Luke 17:31. Jesus said, “In that day,” then in verse 34, “In that night.” This is an allusion to light on one side of the globe and darkness on the other simultaneously.

"When the Bible touches on scientific subjects, it is entirely accurate."

just because some Christians taught that does not mean it is right, and it is what the bible says. Some "Christians" teach that abortion is also right. Are they right? of course not.

Update:

Oh, you people like twisting the bible so much, don't you.

OK, you read my first two paragraphs, did you think about reading on? That was not the only passage to support the earth was round.

And I don't know about people teaching that the earth was flat like a circle. I'm pretty sure they taught it flat like a square.

But anyways you guys need to stop trying to prove the bible wrong, It is impossible.

They didn't use the word sphere once in the whole king james bible. Does that answer your question? How are they going to use that word if it wasn't invented yet?

You people are bad.

The bible is absolutely true, and back then, they could use the word circle to describe a sphere.

Update 2:

Oh, you people like twisting the bible so much, don't you.

OK, you read my first two paragraphs, did you think about reading on? That was not the only passage to support the earth was round.

And I don't know about people teaching that the earth was flat like a circle. I'm pretty sure they taught it flat like a square.

But anyways you guys need to stop trying to prove the bible wrong, It is impossible.

They didn't use the word sphere once in the whole king james bible. Does that answer your question? How are they going to use that word if it wasn't invented yet?

You people are bad.

The bible is absolutely true, and back then, they could use the word circle to describe a sphere.

15 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best answer

Don't forget the bible teaches that the Earth is 6,000 years old.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

1) Why are people saying that the bible taught that the earth is flat?

Lack of basic English comprehension and - maybe even worse - lack of basic geometric comprehension.

2) Your "implications"

Are not very sound evidence supporting that the ancient authors of the bible (specifically Job and Isaiah) knew about the shape of the Earth. I'm not saying your wrong - I'm just saying that your conclusion is quite a reach.

As for "flat like a circle", though, the defense against that lame argument is simple: everyone who lives anywhere other than the Great Salt Flats knows very well that the Earth is not "flat like a conceptual circle". The Earth is very plainly not a two-dimensional form. People who say, "using the geometric or mathematical definition of a circle" are silly - it is obvious to all and sundry that the Earth is not such a circle, and that even a short cylinder (a wafer or disk) is not such a circle.

Jim, http://www.christianwebprogramming.com/br/

• 1 decade ago

I'm sorry, but the Christian Bible does not say that the Earth is a sphere.

Circle= 2D

Sphere= 3D

The people who wrote the Bible thought the Earth was a circle because if you look around you, it does look like a circle.

Go stand on a high hill and look all around you, it looks like a circle from that point of view, therefore, the Bible says it is a circle.

When Galileo tried to say that the Sun didn't revolve around the Earth, Christians attacked him. They quoted Bible verses that say that the Earth cannot move and that the Sun rises and sets.

If anyone is twisting the Bible verses, its you. You believe that the Bible is the word of God, therefore you will twist it into your own personal way.

Read this, it gives those Bible verses that say the Earth is stationary and doesn't move:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galileo_Galilei#Churc...

• Lena
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Well, think about it... back then, people thought the earth WAS flat, so then yes, that is somewhere in the Bible. Sorry, but even as religious as I am, I will admit that the Bible does say that. But, that does not mean that the Bible is not true. To the people that wrote it, the earth being flat was true. That's what they thought, okay? So, get over it! So, it says something we've proved to be wrong. Who cares? It's not like people take religion seriously nowadays, anyway(I'm not saying you don't, but most people don't, because they're too busy trying to prove religion wrong) Okay? Is everyone happy now?

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • sean b
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

What about the bible saying that pi is equal to 3

Not sure exactly of the verse but it states that solomons bath was 30 cubits around and 10 cubits across

30/10=3

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

There is a clear record of theologians a few centuries ago winning arguments using the Bible to "prove" the Earth was flat and the center of the universe, with all stars, planets, and the sun revolving around it.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

they used the word circle to mean spehere?

oh please, do you really believe such nonsense?

Of course, saying that the bible is scientifically accurate means you are either monumentally ignorant, or really dont understand reality at all. Talking donkeys, people living inside whales. Not to mention zombie gods.

Try putting down your stupid old fairy tales and get a life - and hopefully, an education.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

then why did all the catholics and christians burn galileo at the stake for saying it was round not flat why was christopher columbus exiled from the christian religion for even trying to sail across the ocean and prove them wrong it used to be in the bible the bible has been changed so many times

• 1 decade ago

The bible is work of fiction. There is nothing to back anything in the Bible up, therefore who gives a **** what it says about the earth.

• 1 decade ago

"the circle of the earth"

A circle is a two dimensional object, two dimensional objects are flat.

If God was so all knowing and all powerful, why didn't he inspire the author of that verse to write "the sphere of the Earth" instead?

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.