I have an inflamed cervix what does this mean??

Hi, I have been having a very abnormal month.. Strange bleeding from vagina and abnormal discharge... I went to the doctor and had a pap smear and ultrasound. I had blood on the end of the pap smear and they then said I have an inflamed cervix. Ive never had this or heard of it?? I asked them what it was caused... show more Hi, I have been having a very abnormal month.. Strange bleeding from vagina and abnormal discharge... I went to the doctor and had a pap smear and ultrasound. I had blood on the end of the pap smear and they then said I have an inflamed cervix. Ive never had this or heard of it??
I asked them what it was caused by and they said usually married women get it.....Its very normal......... :-@ I live in China and translation and culture are always very difficult..
I have to go back in 3 days for my pap smear results and also to get some medicine for the inflammation that I have to insert...

I'd just like to know what causes this??? I have read on Google that it could be an STI, hormones or an infection of some sort. I have a fiance and we have unprotected sex (Im on the pill), so Id like to know if it really is caused by an STI ( and what ones) before getting tested or asking him too.

Also if it is not caused by an STI how can I prevent it from happening again?

Your reply's will be greatly appreciated..
Thanks in advance
2 answers