My labrador Puppy howls like a Wolf at night. Is this normal and how do I get her to stop howling?

I have a yellow labrador puppy. She is nearly 6 months old. We have a crate for her which is in the lounge. We put her in there at night to sleep. The problem is that as soon as i leave the room and try and go up stairs to go to sleep she starts howling very loud like a wolf. And won't stop until you go down. I... show more I have a yellow labrador puppy. She is nearly 6 months old. We have a crate for her which is in the lounge. We put her in there at night to sleep. The problem is that as soon as i leave the room and try and go up stairs to go to sleep she starts howling very loud like a wolf. And won't stop until you go down. I have tried leaving her but she just wont stop and the neighbours start complaining as the howling is so loud and we live in a terrace house with neighbours both sides. I have tried not putting her in crate and she does the same thing. I have also tried taking her up stairs to sleep in mine and my husbands bedroom as I thought she might be doing it because she is lonely. But firstly she is terrified of the stairs so we have to carry her up and she is heavy and secondly it makes no difference any way. As soon as we go to sleep she starts howling. The only way she doesn't howl is if I stay down stairs with her and she is in her crate and I sleep on sofa. I am getting fed up with this though and don't want to sleep on sofa for ever. I want my life back and want to be able to sleep in same bed as my husband. Does any one know of any way I can stop her from howling or what could be causing her to howl. I did think of getting a second puppy as a friend for her but we really don't have the space for a second puppy really. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.