HELP!!!A German Shepherd or Lab Retriever? Experienced Owners Please?

Hi I plan on getting a dog when I move out to got to university I want a really affectionate and sweet dog but also one that is protective and good at guarding I want a large dog the size of a lab or GS I'm stuck between a lab because they are so playful and affectionate and a GS because they are guard dogs I... show more Hi I plan on getting a dog when I move out to got to university I want a really affectionate and sweet dog but also one that is protective and good at guarding I want a large dog the size of a lab or GS I'm stuck between a lab because they are so playful and affectionate and a GS because they are guard dogs I would love to own a dog both playful sweet and protective/guard. I also plan on going into medicine so I want to know which dog would not mind me being away from home to go to school. I am really confused so please help. Thanks.
Update: I plan on spending a lot of time with it more than 3 hours and plus i will be home a lot since I am an animal and not so much of an people person.