America, which is it: selfishness is a virtue (capitalism) or selfishness is a sin (Christianity)?

Ah hypocricy and contradiction, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways.

• C

Ahhhh Grasshopper, there in nothing wrong with Capitalism. It is the best way to elevate the poor.

Selfishness is a sin, but Capitalism is not Selfish in the big picture.

Lets put it this way, If I own a business and pay sub-standard wage, that is a sin.

If I own a business, pay good wages, the employees benefit right? If I give my 10% then the poor also benefit, right? When I pay my taxes, the poor also benefit, right? When my products go to market, the buyer benefits, right? When I invest in my business, other business and individuals have jobs, right? When I spend my personal money, other business and individuals benefit also, right?

So, how is Capitalism selfish? It can be, but that is not the norm, especially with regulations governing monopolies, and workers safety regulations.

Socialism, on the other hand sounds great, we are all equal. The problem is that when you remove the incentive for private enterprise, productivity drops (Why work when you don't have to) new investment and technologies are not developed (why start a business and pay 90% in taxes)? The overall standard of living for EVERYONE drops. The next thing that happens is that you have to have a STRONG leader that can force people to work, where to work, and how much to produce, that my friend is a Dictator.

"Power tends to Corrupt and absolute Power Corrupts absolutely"

-----Lord Acton

Source(s): www.acton.org It is about Freedom.

I think this is a straw man for both belief systems. Capitalism doesn't EXACTLY say that selfishness is a virtue. It is more like a force of nature that needs to be reckoned with. Capitalism more closely says that selfishness EXISTS, and people act as if they are selfish. From that supposition, supply and demand can be deducted, etc. Also, in Christianity, selfishness is not the major sin. Not even in the top ten. One problem in Christianity is the wide diversity of beliefs, but, even while most Christians would believe that most sins are selfish, that isn't the same as saying selfishness is sin. It may be selfish to feed yourself, clothe yourself, and get enough sleep, but it, at least in my opinion, isn't sinful.

Capitalism is not selfishness nor is it a sin. Capitalism is fulfilling the Word of God, that if a man doesn't work, he doesn't eat. Showing compassion to all men, but helping the widow, the orphan and the stranger are commanded by God. Some work more efficiently and acquire more so they can become bigger givers. All good gifts come from above. It is God who gives man power to get wealth.

Capitalism was never intended to raise up greedy, fraudulent and evil men. Capitalism was so God could bless those who listened to Him and so they could bless the needy.

Selfishness is a sin and in no way are all capitalists selfish. America is one of the greatest blessings to other nations as far as our charitable gifts to them. We feed the poor. We build waterwells for them. We share our doctors and medicine. We defend the defenseless against the oppressors, dictators and evil men. We share our knowledge. We share ourselves. We share our blessings.

Capitalist America has laid down their lives time and time again to stop evil men from invading lands. There is no greater love than when a man lays down his life for a friend.

Jealousy is a green eyed monster!

its a sin

capitalism is not selfishness

selfishness is refusing to help others when they are in need and keeping every thing for your self.

capitalism is the people owning lands and buildings and assets

communism is the government owns everything and tells the people what they will do.

Selfishness is definitely the root of all sin, but capitalism does not necessarily = selfishness.

Capitalism isn't a sin. We're simple free to make our own decisions. Many of us Christians have the freedom to choose to donate thousands of dollars each year to others in need. If we were forced to by our government that wouldn't be charity, it'd be forced taxation on causes we don't necessarily agree with and sometimes flat out oppose. Why do you assume that having the freedom to make money means you'll keep every penny?

I think you need to check your research.

capitalism is not selfish

capitalism is an economic system in which people buy and sell products which are privatly owned by the seller

Capitalism has improved more lives than any of the alternatives.

Deuteronomy 5:21

"You shall not covet your neighbor's wife. You shall not set your desire on your neighbor's house or land, his manservant or maidservant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor."

Selfishness is a sinful vice no matter how you slice it or refer to it....

I think selfishness is necessity.