How does a laptop cooling pad without a fan cool your laptop?

i was buying a laptop cooling pad for my laptop and i saw one with a fan and one without the belkin was 25 bucks and the one without a fan was the same price.i was like how is that possible.so i was wondering how does a laptop cooling pad with no fan cool a laptop.i mean my computer get really hot from the upper... show more i was buying a laptop cooling pad for my laptop and i saw one with a fan and one without the belkin was 25 bucks and the one without a fan was the same price.i was like how is that possible.so i was wondering how does a laptop cooling pad with no fan cool a laptop.i mean my computer get really hot from the upper left top corner and it goes down from there.also i would like to know if i made a right descion for buying a belkin laptop cooling for 25 bucks i think its a bit expensive.i just notice i saw like 10 and 15 dollar ones.should i return it?