Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsEarth Sciences & Geology · 1 decade ago

What would happen if the Earth began to spin in the opposite direction?

I just turned 15 yesterday and I started thinking about the 2012 Doomsday theory's. One of them suggested Earth's poles shift from coming closer to a black hole.

What I'm wondering is how this will effect our existence.

Is everything going to be backwards?

Can the Earth(maybe)even turn inside out?

The magnetic field will change to where we are not aligned with it.

Could this cause our bodies to change and try to adapt?

Could that cause Evolution?

(I believe in science not the bible)

Will we just disappear all together and only the other tougher species just survive and feed off the others that parish?

The magnetic field changing could stop our electronics from functioning and all of our past discoveries in this category would have to change. The wiring and absolutely everything could have to be reinvented to actually function.

And another random question.....

What is the oldest trace of a human being on Earth?

I read about different ages(Age of the Leo, Age of the Aquarius, etc.)

When did our current one change?

When is it over?

I have a lot of questions but this is a lot for now.

I'd like your opinion about these questions; not other doomsday theories.

Thank you for kindling to my interest in science!

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

There is no 2012 Doomsday Theory. There are just foolish ideas.

There is no Black Hole anywhere near the earth (we'd have noticed it's effects long before now).

The earth's magnetic poles do swap-over polarity periodically (roughly once evert 1/4 of a million years), and they are possibly due to do so again soon. but this has happened before without any apparent disastrous effects, such as mass extinction. And this phenomenon is most certainly not associated with the earth reversing its direction of rotation (or turning inside-out).

There may be some disruption to our electronics, but this would be because a fluctuating magnetosphere would not be as effective at shielding the earth from solar radiation, which might cause an EMP-like effect. Tempest-shielding, however, is a long-established technology which should protect most sensitive electronics from this.

The oldest human remains date from 150,000-250,000 years ago.

The Age of Aquarius means that the point where the equator and the ecliptic cross in the night sky is in the star sign of aquarius (this point moves due to the precession of the equinoxes). Some people think we are already in the Age of Aquarius, but others think we are yet to enter it (because there are a number of different ways to calculate it). Each such age lasts about 2,150 years.

The age before Aquarius was/is Pisces, and the one after will be Capricorn.

• Argent
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

"the 2012 Doomsday theories (not "theory's")"

...are nonsense; ignore them. They're based on the ancient Mayan calendar, which was set up to record cycles of various lengths. The current cycle is ending -- and so another one is about to start, that's all.

"One of them suggested Earth's poles shift from coming closer to a black hole. "

...also nonsense. There is no black hole of sufficient mass, and sufficient proximity, to affect Earth.

"What I'm wondering is how this will effect our existence."

...it can't; we've already been effected [that is, caused to exist]. But it won't affect us either.

"Is everything going to be backwards?"

...if Earth were to reverse rotation -- which is essentially impossible, barring a REALLY large impactor coming in from the east -- the only thing that would be backwards is the apparent motion of the Sun (west to east, instead of east to west).

"Can the Earth(maybe)even turn inside out?"

...no.

"The magnetic field will change to where we are not aligned with it."

...we're not aligned (personally) with the field now, so a reversal wouldn't matter.

"Could this cause our bodies to change and try to adapt?"

...nothing to adapt to.

"Could that cause Evolution?"

...see above.

"Will we just disappear all together and only the other tougher species just survive and feed off the others that parish?"

...no. See above.

"The magnetic field changing could stop our electronics from functioning"

...no. Our electronics do not depend on the orientation of the geomagnetic field.

"and all of our past discoveries in this category would have to change."

...no. Electromagnetic phenomena would continue as they always have. An electromagnet, for instance, works whenever it carries current, regardless of the strength and value of Earth's field.

"The wiring and absolutely everything could have to be reinvented to actually function."

...no. See above.

"What is the oldest trace of a human being on Earth?"

...it depends on how you define human. Cro-Magnon Man, considered to be the human type that's closest to us, appeared about 28,000 - 35,000 years ago. Neandertal Man was around 130,000 years ago. etc.

"I read about different ages(Age of the Leo, Age of the Aquarius, etc.)

When did our current one change?

When is it over?"

...from the Wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_Aquarius):

"The Age of Aquarius is one of the twelve astrological ages. According to astrologers, it is either the next age to come, or else it is the current age. Each astrological age is approximately 2,150 years long, on average, but there are various methods of calculating this length that may yield longer or shorter time spans depending upon the technique used."

• 1 decade ago

Wow, there are a lot of questions you are asking there...

I had a physics professor which offered a theory, and this was 5 years ago before the 2012 drama really began...

He believed that the extinctions, for example the dinosaurs, were caused by a violent shift in the Earth's magnetic field. You may think that would not effect the brain, but consider the fact that that is how birds travel, by following magnetics. He felt that this change would affect our brains with something along the lines of "wiping our hard drives clean."

Something to ponder....

• 1 decade ago

Happy birthday. We see a lot of musing here about things which aren't scientifically impossible. If I were a question asker back to you I would ask, "What force do you theorize would be enough to override the laws of physics that would suddenly produce a reverse rotation?" Ok we are talking hypothetically so if the earth were affected by a magical force that " PoOf "caused the earth to spin in the opposite direction--why do you then automatically rule out the the rest of of matter living or not wouldn't just spin backward as well?

I might also place an question here that asks" Why do people put hypothetical questions here without a smidgen of explanation as why they theorized the question in the first place? e.g what do you mean by asking could the earth turn inside out? Do you believe the earth is hollow and has a zipper?

Google is your friend visit it often. Then see if you really need to come here and ask about the age of Leo- or the Musical Hair!!

Source(s): Frustration and being an Crumugden
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Firstly, the poles will change from north to south. so instead of the compass pointing north, it will point south :D

no-one knows what will happen to the earth when the poles change, but it will definately not cause us to evolve, turn inside out, or dissapear, yes its true the change will render electronics/computers usless, however mechanical technology will be unafected, such as older cars which dont have computers.

the earth will not change its rotation.

secondly, each age is approximatley 26000 years long, there is no record of humans before this and it also marks the end of the last ice age. humans evolved after this, so we have only been around for less then 26 thousand years. 2012 marks the next change, some believe this will spark climatic change much like another ice age but its still uncertain.

to sum it up, chances are there will be a series of climatic change eg big storms, and then the earth will correct itself with the compass pointing south. you dont need to worry, we wont die as a result.

Source(s): nostradamus 2012 doco
  • 1 decade ago

I don't think it would be as tradgic as you think. My thoughts would be the oceans currents would change changing the climates.

the universe wouldn't explode. there would be no black holes the earth wouldn't turn inside out. I don't think that it would affect our magnetic field.

FYI- there is evidence that the earths rotations are slowing down.

• 1 decade ago

First off, Happy belated birthday:)!

I think that if the Earth did that, then the clocks would definitely need to be changed, haha lol. That and the seasons and months would be switched around. That's all i can think of on the top of my head lol:)

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

We will find out the day it happens.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.