what do you think about an open marriage?

i just met a couple who have an open marriage. they havent been doing that long and when one is somewhere with someone else I can tell the other one doesnt like it but they just act like its ok.

• Hermes
    Favorite Answer

Open marriage as opposed to polyamory?

Ummm -- you can "tell" that the other one doesn't like it -- but they just "act" like its ok.

Alrighty. Let's start with your question. Get over yourself and stop projecting. You MAY be correct, but you also MAY be wrong in your interpretations. I know open couples (straight and gay) who are actually quite alright with it. I also know other family arrangements that work for the people involved.

Seriously, get over the projection and respect other people's lives.

Kindest thoughts,

Hermes

An open marriage is fine if the other person is actually okay with it. This is rarely fully true. The only way that will ever be the case is when someone is acculturated from birth to believe in the goodness of polygamy (both polyandrous and polygynous) without any reason to believe in a contrary position. However, since too many societies exist where the mainstream accepted idea is one of monogamous love and because of the wide use of televisions, the Internet, and other media outlets it is unlikely that even the most Amish/old-school-lifestyle-type people can ignore the opposing thoughts. So, no, this is why I believe an open marriage is a bad idea. There is no particular way to measure the relative enjoyment of both partners as being "equal" when they commit adulterous acts (even with ground rules), and there's no 100% way to ignore the possibility that the reason your partner is seeking other people is because they don't love you as much or at all.

• ?

In your friend's case, It will be only end up the marriage! They should stop to doing this open marriage and either choose try to making the marriage work together or just out off this marriage, otherwise, it will cause many problems for their marriage. Open marriage is not healthy for them and is ridiculous.

I personally think an open marriage is stupid. When someone gets married you commit your life to that person. You let them know they are the only person they want to be with.

If they have an open marriage it's stupid. Just get a divorce or don't even get married and continue to live your single life.

hmm well if thats what both people want, then i'm not going to judge

but somehow i feel that open marriages would always lead to jealousy and resentment from at least one partner.. it might be fun at first, but i just dont know how long it could last.

then again, im sure it works for some people :-)

• I just think "why bother" with the marriage part if you're going to be carrying on like you're single anyway...

Then whats the point of being married. in the vows you take its all about staying with that one person.

I find it interesting. In my biology class we learned that mammals (which we are) were not designed for monogomous relationships... which explains all the cheating. (ha!) Interestingly enough, it is the birds that are wired for monogomous relationships.

• ABB

People make their own choices ... but I wouldn't call that a marriage.

.

those kind of arrangements never work out at the end.

in my mind I find that this kind of relationships are mainly competitive and each one them is trying to prove to the other that he/she is better.

Endless...