Spanish - Is it inappropriate to say "Estoy caliente" ?

Saying "estoy caliente" is the easiest way for me to say "i am hot" as in 'i feel very warm'

someone said it meant sexy or horny..iuno if thats right??

is it wrong to say estoy caliente? should i stick to tengo calor?

What Calypso said is right.

It means "I'm horny", but it also means "I'm mad", meaning very angry, at least it does in Uruguay and Argentina.

Don't use it if you mean "I feel very warm", cause it doesn't. Say instead "tengo calor" or "tengo mucho calor".

Caliente Translation

It depends on the country of origin. Stick with "tengo calor" or say "estoy acalorada" Estoy caliente in many countries means "I'm horny"

Source(s): Native Spanish Speaker
  • ?

Calipso and Olivia are right. For instance in Argentina (my country) we say ESTOY CALIENTE meaning I'm horny and also meaning I'm furious.

When we are hot, we say TENGO CALOR.

However we can say EL CADAVER AUN ESTABA CALIENTE. THE BODY WAS STILL HOT.

It must be the difference between Latin America and Spain. It is always a good idea to stay away from idioms when learning a language. When learning a language they usually give you the proper form eg where the language came from and not where it is spoken as well. For example an expression in England can have a completely different meaning in Canada or America, heck even between Canada and America they have different expressions.