After 4 or 5 years of usage my Windows XP Professional needs to be activated again. Why is that?

I am speculating about recent software installations, but I was quiet surprised. I have 3 days left to comply with the activation request. Until then I hopefully have found my CD. Any clous?

Today I found my CD and was looking forward to do the activation. The only thing that was requested by Microsoft was my address including e-mail. Thank you everybody to look into my matter.

• Jim W

If you added hardware, it would make XP think that you have installed it on a different computer. You should be able to activate it without the CD, since the product ID should still be in the registry. If not, then you might want to restore the system back before your recent installations.

You can also use Keyfinder to try to get your product ID. See the PC World article below for details.

Your key is likely a pirated key, or invalid for some reason. (Corporate license, etc). You may not even know it. Microsoft recently upgraded their Genuine Software detection within Windows, and people that have had Windows or Office running fine for YEARS are now finding that their license is invalid. They are cracking down on the years of unbridled piracy.

No getting around it, find the original license, get one from a friend or buy a new one. There should be lots of XP license available cheap these days as Vista and Win7 are just around the corner.

• DrDave

Hardware changes are the usual problem. When you first register your product, microsoft takes a snapshot of the entire system and keeps a record of it. After so many changes, it no longer recognizes it as the original system. Put your original key in and if it doesnt work, call microsoft support and give them your number on the windows genuine tag on your pc. They will issue you a new number no charge.

Using a computer for 4-5 years is pretty long. The max of the window xp is 3 years.

All of the previous answers are excellent.

You can download Belarc's Free Personal PC Audit program and it will tell you your Windows key, along with other software program registration information. Plus a plethora of other valuable information about your computer.

This is a utility program everyone should have and use.

See source below.

Good luck!

Source(s): Belarc's Free Personal PC Audit Program: http://belarc.com/free_download.html

This is unusual, being that I've been doing pc's for over 10 yrs. No sweat tho, if you go the activation screen and choose to activate by phone, it's all automated, and you just punch in the code it gives you and the automated operator will give you a code to punch in and it's activated. If you have any further questions, please visit our site below. It's Free

Source(s): www.pc-medix.net

Sounds like someone else is using your software and is updating with Microsoft. Maybe Microsoft is trying to figure out who has the bootleg software.

• Don M

Many Computer wiz's claim that every 3 to 5 years you need to erase and re-install any Operating System.

This is the only true way to get rid of all the junk.

How many times have your formatted it? Microsoft will only let you format your computer with that disk a certain number of times before your license expires.

Happened to me once a few years ago and had to renew my disks license.

or else you accidently removed the cd key file - call up microsoft (the number is on the annoying activation) and do it over the phone