Why is it so accepted to objectify and sometimes degrade women so openly these days?

I’m no feminist but I can’t help but notice that over the years this idea of attractive women being no more than “assets” (no pun intended) has become much more popular. Why? We supposedly live in a society where all men and women are supposed to be treated equally. I know that this is far from true but I feel... show more I’m no feminist but I can’t help but notice that over the years this idea of attractive women being no more than “assets” (no pun intended) has become much more popular. Why? We supposedly live in a society where all men and women are supposed to be treated equally. I know that this is far from true but I feel that that is due to the time it takes for opinions to change, if we keep moving forward, and educate future generations this will happen.....eventually.... Regardless of that, what I’m saying is that it doesn’t need to be this way i.e. women being objectified. You just have to look at any music video to see what I mean. You don’t have to see half naked ladies dancing to determine whether or not a song is good. So why have it? Don’t these people not have daughters, mother or sisters? Now I know sex sells but that does not make it right and if this is the case why do we not see it happen to the same extent when it comes to men? Are men not sexy?

Any ideas?
Update: Ok I seem to be getting a lot of "because they allow it" , "they get paid for it “or "it happens to men as well" type of answers, and I am aware of this (though you have to admit that it happens at a greater extent to women than me but I digress) but that does not make it right. No one,... show more Ok I seem to be getting a lot of "because they allow it" , "they get paid for it “or "it happens to men as well" type of answers, and I am aware of this (though you have to admit that it happens at a greater extent to women than me but I digress) but that does not make it right. No one, whether they are a man or woman should be objectified or degraded full stop. The fact that in most cases it is only to sell something makes it worse and what I am asking is why do we allow it to happen? Why do we accept it?
Update 2: Ok...I am not jealous. Why do people assume that because I do not agree with what is taking place I must somehow be jealous of the "pretty girls out there" because I am so obviously less attractive and therefore less worth of life....I mean come on! Grow up a little.... Yes, I know life isn't fair.... show more Ok...I am not jealous. Why do people assume that because I do not agree with what is taking place I must somehow be jealous of the "pretty girls out there" because I am so obviously less attractive and therefore less worth of life....I mean come on! Grow up a little....

Yes, I know life isn't fair. I'm just asking a question. I know women are not perfect and this isn't a question bashing men, there are a lot of women at the top who allow this sort of things to happen to don't try and twist this question that way. As for saying "They like it so why worry?" Well, this may be true but I feel that many of the girls caught up in this might be doing this more for the money that their own enjoyment.

All I am asking is WHY is is so accepted?
Update 3: john_von_lof I applaud you that is a fantastic answer...Wolf's answers annoyed me too!

Kris W...what world are you living in....Men, "Denied equal representation in Government"...I sure hope you're being sarcastic!

FranklymaDAMN. I like your answer too....