Question for those who believe that evolution explains man's origin: The theory of evolution began with Darwin?

How did people who reject the creation story explain our origin/existence BEFORE Darwin? What did the scientists thinks before evolution theory? What about before there WERE scientists? Also, why did it take so long for all of the supposed science to be known? Why didn't they figure out all they are... show more How did people who reject the creation story explain our origin/existence BEFORE Darwin? What did the scientists thinks before evolution theory? What about before there WERE scientists? Also, why did it take so long for all of the supposed science to be known? Why didn't they figure out all they are figuring out now long before? The creation explanation predates all of the "science"; why is that? I was really wondering about this. Please enlighten me.
Update: But still; if scientists are so smart; why did it take them so long? Was everybody stupid before Darwin or something?
Update 2: Take all of the answers given here and you still have millions of years that are left without information being known. Why is that? Was our species idiots for millions of years?
Update 3: I am going to try to follow up on this question in Philosophy.