How can I know if I will ever be ready for kids or not?

I am 20 years old and hope to one day find the right person and get married to the lady of my dreams. Now the problem is that I do not know what to do about kids. Last Friday I was watching Oprah live and my mom came into my room to ask me something. All of the sudden she sees Oprah and she says oh- can I watch... show more I am 20 years old and hope to one day find the right person and get married to the lady of my dreams. Now the problem is that I do not know what to do about kids. Last Friday I was watching Oprah live and my mom came into my room to ask me something. All of the sudden she sees Oprah and she says oh- can I watch with you and I said- I guess so. Right after that Oprah started talking about that girl that had been raped by her dad. After watching the whole thing my mom says to me- we need to talk and SERIOUS! So I said what's wrong? She says- I know that one day you will find the right lady and get married but to tell you the truth I don't think you can ever have kids in your life. She said- you can get married and have a perfect life with someone but no kids allowed! She said that I could have a traveling partner or something. I said why no kids? She said- you will never be ready. Even with all the help in the world you wont make it. I was so shocked and surprised at what she said that I asked her to leave and give me some time to think. I got angry and upset with tears of madness that came along with it. I don't know what to do. How can I tell if kids are for me? Ever since I was little I would tell my parents that I was never going to get married but now I have changed my thoughts about it and want to find someone to be with and get married. What can I do? If I really wanted someone for just traveling I would just ask a friend of mine to travel or become my room mate. Why get married if I can't start a family and have kids? This is the only reason that I was considering getting married someday.

While I disagree with what my mother has said- she is my mother and she is just trying to look after what is best for me. I can't just say to hell with it and not listen to her. Doing so would put so much pressure on me as a person and I could never raise kids like that. The idea is that I want to be a good successful parent that can raise kids and watch them grow up. When ever I go to the store and people see me with my dad they say- is that your brother? He is 36 but looks like he is 25 or something so people ask if he is my brother. I want to have this same experience with my kids one day where I can go to the store and people say is that your big brother?

What can I do? also- I am NOT a rapist for those who thought so. So think again before making comments on me being a rapist! thanks