Australian Film Questions ...?

Hey, I've recently been researching actors and films in Australia and I've noticed there aren't nearly as many popular films and actors from Australia than the USA. So I've got a few questions. From the very start, how are Australian films produced. Do they have lower budgets than other... show more Hey, I've recently been researching actors and films in Australia and I've noticed there aren't nearly as many popular films and actors from Australia than the USA. So I've got a few questions.

From the very start, how are Australian films produced. Do they have lower budgets than other country's and why?

Why aren't many Australian films shown in cinemas. Usually all you see are USA movies. And if they aren't shown in cinemas, where are they shown?

What awards are given to successful Australian films? I know about the AFI awards, but are there any others?

Finally, how common is it for an Aussie actor to make a name for themselves and end up acting in the big-name films? Everyone knows Mel Gibson, Toni Collette, Hugh Jackman, Nicole Kidman, but how often does an Aussie actor become popular enough to get into Hollywood?

Thanks for your time and answers. Cheers :)