What are some rules for vampires?

I am writing my own book, and I have a few, but I don't want to copy alot of people's ideas.

Also, while I am asking this question, I want to know if you guys think vampires should be evil when they are first changed, or does it really matter? Thanks in advance for your help!

Favorite Answer

There are not rules for Vampires. One does not make rules for that which does not exist. It would clearly be, like their non exsistent fangs, P o i n t l e s s!

Source(s): EDIT: Morpheus8250. THAT is BRILLIANT!!!! and had me laughing my head off :-))))

Thank-you, Thank-you, Citrine Witch, for posting the tenets of The Black Veil in response to this question. Yes, this is a REAL set of ethical and etiquette rules for real vampires. If you don't believe it, Google "Black Veil". It was even mentioned in an episode of CSI. There are several slightly different versions that you might come across online. It's been revised a few times, and different groups may adopt slightly different versions. According to Michelle Belanger, it was originally modeled after the laws of vampire behavior in the game "Vampire: the Masquerade", but has since been made less dramatic in its prose and more practical. As you can see, there are no punishments included for not following these rules. They are thus suggestions for proper behavior, rather than laws. I'm reserving my judgment on whether Elmo is a real vampire or not. It's possible she could be a vampire and not know about The Black Veil. It's also rare, but possible for vampires to have naturally longer canines (just as any human can). I know one hereditary sang who says he had longer canines naturally, but his father had them filed down when he was a kid. - P.

to be honest, have u read the first books of darren shan? well if you haven't then here they are ok first of all the rules for a normal vampire is there not aloud to kill a human while draining blood there is only a certain amount of blood u can drain from them and there is another vampire group there called the vampaneze, basicly long time ago a vampire made this rule that vampires aren't aloud to kill humans while draining there blood some of the vampires thoguht it wasn't right for them not to kill humans while draining there blood so they made there own group called the vampaneze they thoguht it was a right thing to do to kill people while drinking there blood eventually there was a war between this 2 then humas interfered and so vampires and vampaneze didn't get on each others way.

hope i helped ^^ and by the way i'm not a nerd >.> if ur thinking that, i like to know about vampires ^^ they rock! xD

Since vampires are made up, I think you can make your own rules. I don't think vampires have to be evil. You could have a rule that vampires can't tell people who they are if you want a twist in the book. Or you could have something like they only suck blood from bad people. That would be cool.

Source(s): Twilight

Vampires are how you want them to be. I can't tell you how to make them act. However, I can make suggestions.

1. Don't make them Mary-Sues/Gary-Stues like the crappy characters Stephanie Meyer tried to pass off as vampires. Give them weaknesses, or else it's boring.

2. Make them have an undeniable thirst for blood, at least at first. You can make a character learn to control it over time, but no one knows how to control a new feeling when they first get it.

3. Personally, I prefer vampires as villains, but if you choose to make them a hero, give a good reason for them to have gotten over their blood lust to become a hero.

4. Give them a personality, even if it is one that doesn't appear in the story. EVERYONE has a back story, and even if someone is a minor character, it helps make their parts that much more believable.

The only thing that makes them evil is that they drink blood. Other than that, they can be good. I love Louis in Interview with a Vampire. He was a gentle soul and hated that he had to drink blood, but at that point it's all about survival.

Hmm, well if you dont want to copy a lot of people's ideas, it may be hard....a lot of times sunlight is the issue, in one book, the vamps cant go out in it at all, in others, they can if they wear a special item like a ring or necklace, so that you may want to explore...

Also, deal with folklore thngs such as do crosses ward them off? What about garlic? Silver? Etc. Etc.

I don't thionk all vamps should be evil at birth, just newborn to figure out their own way of life

Depends on which vampire series you've read. Brian Lumley's Waparie are quite different from the Twlight series. Than there's Ann Rice's Lestat. I really like the idea that they don't sleep n twlight. And that there powers get stronger with age (Ann Rice). You should mix and match.

Source(s): Lots of Books

Dear New Vampire,

Thank you for taking the time to read this introductory leaflet which we hope will help you to adjust to your new lifestyle as one of the blood-sucking undead. We hope that it will help to answer some of the frequently asked questions which people often ask at this difficult time.

Can I go back to being human?

No. Sorry, but from now on you’re a vampire or you’re dead. And no, that ‘genetic cure’ thing is just a fictional plot device in ‘Blade’

Am I immortal now?

Sort of. You will find that you are faster and stronger than you were as a mortal and that you can absorb more damage and heal from that damage more quickly than you could before. However, you are not indestructible and if you choose to stand in front of a moving freight train things probably won’t turn out well.

Will sunlight kill me?

Yes. We’ve only had one vampire who doubted that sunlight was lethal to our kind. He’s currently residing in our Overlord’s office, inside an hourglass.

Is silver deadly to me now?

Yes. Silver is indeed toxic to vampires, so we try to avoid it as far as possible, especially when it’s travelling towards us in small pieces at about 2,800 feet per second.

Is there an alternative to drinking blood?

New vampires often have difficulty feeding, as their ‘residual humanity’ makes them reluctant to bite humans. This is usually an interim stage and most vamps come around to the idea in time. While seeking alternative food sources is encouraged, savaging poodles is considered to be bad form.

How do I pass myself off as human?

Most of our kind choose to adopt a ‘Goth’ look, since the majority of Goths look pale, thin, and occasionally a bit insane. Although we have to put up with lots of fashion jokes and listen to some rather depressing music, we find that it’s an effective disguise. Some of our kind have adopted a rather more flamboyant and Byronic look, which is still acceptable, but the less said about the vampire who decided to become an Elvis tribute act the better.

How do I earn a living?

Well, since a day job is no longer an option, we advise people to seek employment which allows night working, indoor work in locations without light, or work underground. Alternatively, business conducted over the Internet is a safe means of earning a living. However, the simplest way is to make sure that when you drain the lifeblood from your next human victim, you take his wallet and car keys at the same time.

Where can I live?

Preferably somewhere which is completely shielded from daylight and secure enough so that you won’t be disturbed. At a pinch you can get a van and live in that, but some kind of safe house is better. Although a few of our kind have taken to living in ancient castles, that’s generally regarded as a bit pretentious.

What about human servants/familiars?

It’s difficult to find someone who can be trusted. Lets face it, most of the people who’d volunteer to be servants to the undead have got to be f*cking idiots to start with. You’re best bet is to hire either the educationally subnormal, the mentally deranged, those who are already minions of evil, or people from East Anglia.

Will the people that I bite become vampires?

No. You have to drain them fully, then use some of your blood to ‘turn’ them. Due to pressure on the food supply, we strongly advise you not to create a new vampire without the permission of the Ruling Council. The last person who did finished up wearing a sun-bed.

Is there anything which vampires are forbidden to do?

Using Y!A to find dumb teenagers who want to meet vampires is frowned upon, and sleeping with werewolves is also considered something of a social faux pas. Doing anything which helps to convince the public at large that we exist is a bad thing. Like leaving this leaflet on the train.

Who can I contact for more information?

The address, telephone number, fax number, website address and e-mail of our support centre can be found at the bottom of this leaflet, written in vampire glyphs. If you can’t see them, you don’t need our help.

Some common constraints on vampires:

must avoid direct sunlight

can't enter a home unless invited in

repelled by garlic, religious symbols (e.g. crucifix, holy water)

must sleep in contact with their native soil

can't cross running water (can't walk across a bridge)

doesn't cast a shadow or reflect in mirrors

can't walk on consecrated ground (churchyard, e.g.).

As for being evil, it depends on where you want to go with it. Some writers have vampires who are like mad dogs in their lust for blood. Some more modern writers have created vampires ranging from morally conflicted to practically cuddly. The middle ground is a vampire who attempts to hang onto some sense of his humanity, but is powerless to control to control his urges under some circumstances.