Electric outboard for kayak/canoe hybrid. How to set up.?

How easy or hard is it to install a electric outboard? What is needed? Simple process? Please help as much info as your able to scrap together. Thanks.

Excuse a stupid question, are these batteries rechargable? And what roughly can they cost?

I run a Minnkota 32 Lb thrust electric trolling motor on my canoe. I made a Porkchop out of a 2x6 and installed it on the back right behind the rear seat. It is 5 inches wide where the trolling motor mounts and is 1 1/2 inches wide where it is fastened to the canoe. It is mounted with three 5/16" diameter x 3" long stainless steel hex head cap screws that are counter sunk so they do not stick out above the wood. The porkchop is straight across the top and looks like a paddle that is only rounded down from one side. When I am by myself, I put the battery in the front and run jumper cables to the back to the trolling motor. This puts weight in the front and makes it more stable. When I have someone sitting in the front, I put the battery behind the rear seat and hook up the trolling motor directly to the battery posts. Check your state regulations for registration requirements. In Maine, you do not have to register a canoe, but if you put a trolling motor on it, you do. I use a size 27DC (deep cycle) marine battery. Excluding factors like wind and current, this will take me seven miles on a full charge with a good battery.

Are you considering and electric outboard motor, or an electric trolling motor vs the petrol outboard motor ? Electric outboard motors are made for continuous use , and can deliver up to 5 hp. Electric trolling motors are not designed for continuous use , and will cut out after prolonged use {I've experienced it in less than 1/2 hr} at full power , due to heat . Electric outboard motors are expensive , and require a lot of battery {36-48 volt} . Your average 20-30 lb thrust 12 volt trolling motor is giving out less than 1 hp . I wouldn't want to be in any kind of wind or sea with that kind of power. There isn't any reserve there to get you out of trouble either . I've tried the trolling motor route with a 20 ft lifeboat . In the end I had over 200 lbs of thrust in a 36 volt system , with 12 batteries. Still not enough . You get into a vicious circle . To get the endurance you want , you need more batteries , which creates more weight , which demands more thrust, which requires more batteries , which creates more weight, which demands more thrust .etc. No , petrol is your only reliable option.

• jtexas

the question is not all that stupid. :)

You'd be using 12volt marine deepcycle batteries -- they are just like automotive batteries, but designed for repetitive deep discharges. You'd have to recharge 'em after each use, but if you take good care of 'em they'll last, oh maybe, one to three years.

The bigger and heavier the battery, the longer the run time (all else being equal). Walmart has a group 24 trolling battery for around $40; I use their group 27 battery to run my trolling motor, it's about $70. Best thing about walmart, besides the price, is there's always one close by open 24/7, and they have a pretty good return policy (free replacement within a year).