If scientists discover a way to halt or even reverse the ageing process....?

Australia's first Nobel Prize winning woman, Professor Elizabeth Blackburn, has discovered a a way to help cells overcome cancer, and general wear caused by ageing.

Though in it's infancy, this research has potential to halt, if not reverse the process of ageing altogether.

If a treatment was ever available that allowed humans to never grow old, therefore potentially allowing humans to live forever, who do you believe should have access to such treatments?

And if you answered everyone, how do you propose to overcome the problems of a overpopulated world wear no one ever dies (except maybe through violence).....?

Any other general thoughts on the matter most welcome.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/science/outspoken-aust...

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

Crap, that just means I can't retire when i think i will be able too.

• 1 decade ago

Sci-fi authors have been wrestling with this one since the 1950s. Just about every possible scenario involving who gets it, what happens to people with eternity going insane, over population, draconian control of population, etc, has been written about. And actually, the immortality as curse rather than a blessing theme is more common.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Regardless of the limitations first placed on it, eventually it would be controlled by private parties for their own best interests.

Ideally I believe it should be given to those who demonstrate a dedication to the gathering and preservation of knowledge in all forms, and if someone brighter comes along they are replaced, so there is a stable amount of immortals with the infrequent addition for new areas of expertise.

• 4 years ago

The field of gerontology is looking into just that, specifically Aubrey de Grey with his ideas of "Engineered negligible senescence". He has outlined what he says are the seven causes of ageing, and has suggested solutions for each of them. Of course, most of the solutions are *not* within technological possiblity right now (like retroviral gene therapy to selectively activate telomerase in certain cells). And many people consider him a bit of a quack, with no real idea of the difficulty of what he is suggesting (he is a pure "Dry" researcher: theory only with no actual lab work)

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I'd be first in line. I think this living thing is pretty cool and wouldn't mind doing it for a couple thousand years or so...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I wouldn't take such a treatment. I have no desire to live forever.

Life may be pointless, but endless existence is hell.

Source(s): WWHMJD? HE WOULD ROCK!!! Thou shalt turn thy music UP!
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

There will only be one Healer and His Name is Jesus.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Even if you could rejuvenate the body you still wouldn't be able to rejuvenate the spirit which is bursting at the seams to be with God in the next world.

• nobody
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

wont happen

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.