why is it considered "wrong" to have sex under the age of 18?

is it a religious thing, you kno "no sex before marriage"? why is it that it is the public view that when you're under the age of 16 or even 18 that one should not be involved in sexual activities? why would parents disapprove of their child having sex even if they know they are using protection and what not?

Because

SEX === BABIES

Contraception has only become readily available in recent years, and in any case plenty of young couples seem to manage to produce babies despite the availability of condoms, and teenage pregnancies are a disaster for everyone involved.

The religious things says no sex before marriage or sex with anyone other than your spouse. The laws say no sex before a particular age in any particular part of the world. The legal age of consent here in New Mexico is 16 up from 14 and so it is in other parts of the USA but in California it is 18. However if you are 18 or older and have a sexual relationship with someone under the age of 18 anywhere then you must rely on the young person to be brave and honest enough to step forward and say it was with their consent. Other wise you will go to jail for child molesting. Not my idea of sexual fun.

In modern USA and other countries it is very hard for anyone to find gainful employment without completing High School. Before WWII when half of the nations people lived and worked on farms, younger marriage and child-bearing was an advantage for supplying young farm labor. Back to religion...before birth control pills, iud's, diaphragms etc. sex meant near-certain pregnancy and societies wanted parents to stay together and raise their own children, which meant 14-18 years minimum. 18 is minimum age for military service and until a few years ago alchohol purchase and consumption. Now it is illegal for someone over 18 to have sex with someone under 18 as an adult is taking advantage of a "minor". Many folks do not of course follow this and some of the results are not so nice...lots of Grandma's raising babies for little idiots for example. In France I heard the age is like 15? Not sure.

It has nothing to do with religion. I'm agnostic, and I disapprove of it. It's just sick you know, they are still kids at that age, and if anything were to happen from their having sex they would not be able to support themselves, it's a burden on their parents and society. Have you any idea how much money states would save if they didn't have the need to put up daycare in high school because some retarded teen got knocked up. Even with protection things happen, I've known a handful of women that have gotten pregnant while using protection.

Plus it's embarrassing, I mean, how can u look your parents in the eye you know, what would a father feel knowing his little girl is getting plowed by some hormone-drive ****** who is most likely just using his daughter for sex?

Guys in their teens don't think with their heads honey, that's the age that men are more sexually-driven than in any other age. At that age very few girls know what they are going to do with their lives, they haven't even figured out who they are and who they want to be...so what makes you think they are going to make the right decisions?

• Janet

Well, it's not a easy question to answer, because I never knew it was a law? Well, I understand why they made it because, young people shouldn't be having sex, because they don't have a sable job. If you can lay down and have sex, you can carry your lazy butt to the gym. It's not actually the same as actually running on the treadmill, or running the quarter mile. No matterhow much sweat, and calories you burn. I also understand that sex is for pleasure, but it actually suppose to be meant for married couples, and not for crazy young people out to have little too much fun. Don't be shocked when someone gets pregnant even if you are on birth control, then y'all is really going to loose some weight*

I'd say it has more to do with child bearing. Even with protection, there is always that chance of pregnancy and a 16 year old, who is still a child and in school themselves, is a bit young to be taking care of their own baby. It isn't about marriage. It is about them still being a child themselves. I mean, how many kids at 16 are living on their own and have a good enough paying job to handle that kind of responsiblity? Heck, I'm 30 with two college degrees and wish I had more money because I fear not being able to provide for a future child.

A lot of early cultures and religions thought that woman weren't worth anything if they weren't virgins, I think that's where a lot of the 'no sex before marriage' thing comes from, along with it just not being 'pure'. Because teens aren't fully developed, mentally, adults think it's a bad choice. You can also contract a STD or get pregnant, so, it's always best to be fully aware of what you're getting into when you're going to have sex.

I would only say that its wrong to have sex under the age of 18 for this reason: Sex is very emotional and a bad sexual experience could emotionally traumatize you and ruin your life. People under the age of 18 aren't very mature, and they don't always think things through. You could end up pregnant (then you'd have to decide whether or not to have an abortion or deal with adoption, etc), you could end up with an STD or HIV, and you could end up in a date-rape situation. When you have sex for the first time you should be with someone that actually cares about you and not with someone who could care less about your soul.

Source(s): www.plannedparenthood.org

It's not necessarily "wrong" as in being bad in a moral way, in my opinion, but it is something that minors tend to not really understand the consequences of. I'm not just talking STDs or pregnancy, but the emotional issues that arise from losing one's virginity. While I'm not a prude, nor am I terribly religious, I do think that many youths today have a tendency to think that sex is a casual act; it isn't. There are a lot of feelings hurt by people who just have "casual sex" and that's why I think it's important to understand all issues regarding it before you engage in sexual intercourse of any kind.

You know the answer! Surely? Most people under 16 are going through puberty where their minds become confusing. They are not always developed (mentally), and an act can ruin the rest of their lives - especially if they don't understand the full implications. They have 50 years of sex to enjoy when they are old enough.