Sony Trinitron TV remote control (RM-Y173) appears to have "croaked." Ever successfully "reset" one?

Oddly enough, OTHER Sony remote controls can still control the TV. Even better, some elements of the RM-Y173 still control some elements of the TV. But what can no longer be controlled are volume and MUTING. Inconvenient as heck. In a pinch, I'll get a "universal remote" and recycle the RM-Y173. ... show more Oddly enough, OTHER Sony remote controls can still control the TV. Even better, some elements of the RM-Y173 still control some elements of the TV. But what can no longer be controlled are volume and MUTING. Inconvenient as heck. In a pinch, I'll get a "universal remote" and recycle the RM-Y173. But before bailing I thought I'd give the Yahoo! ANSWERS community a chance to shine. Show me some stuff!