Ariel
Ariel asked in Food & DrinkBeer, Wine & Spirits · 1 decade ago

Does drinking alcohol on a daily basis make you lose IQ points?

Because I know that it makes you lose brain cells, but I was wondering if this also applies to losing IQ points.

It's just that I'm an avid drinker but also with a high intellect (so I'm told) so I wanted to know if drinking alcohol diminishes your brain cells as well as your intellect?

ok so I see that booze isn't all to do with brain cell loss..however, I do still remain concerned as to whether my high (at least 11 drinks a night) consumption of alcohol will result in a lower brain power.

This may be seen as merely egotistic and arrogant (as my brain it what seems to get me the most UNI selections..plus probably my looks too - but I'm not being egocentric; these are just general observations), but I am really interested to know on purely a scientific basis.

No way... I'm been drinking beer now for years and my IQ is massive big still, I no worry about beer, Me just dandy fine. oooo look, A monitor...

Really though, Drinking Alcohol wouldn't normally kill any Brain cells, that's just a myth. Nor will it impact your IQ... Well, unless you perform an IQ test after imbibing large quantities of booze :) that's always a laugh. Of course there are long term health risks with prolonged heavy drinking that could have an impact on you...

On the Contrary, Drinking alcohol in moderation may even help your IQ... See link.

• ?

No. Postmortems have shown that severe chronic alcoholics may suffer some loss of brain cells. But for all others, the lose-brain-cells thing is a myth. Moderate amounts of alcohol may actually be beneficial.

chronic drinking like 750ml of vodka a day for many years will not help. After many years of doing this I sometimes cannot remember what clothes I wore a day earlier or what I had for breakfast just hours earlier so it will definitely fry brain cells over the long term. I am still kind of short on memory 6 months after I gave up my very pleasurable hobby of heavy drinking.

If iq is based on what you've learned or memorized, then you will slowly lose knowledge of things you've learned after years of doing it...the good news is that your long term memory may remain decent even after years of drinking but your short term memory may suffer the consequences. Even long term memories like childhood events, song lyrics, movies you used to be able to quote lines out of...that all slowly slips away if you drink heavily for years.

Well the average for a male is around 2-4. I usually cosume 10 to 15 a day but I work it all off so no beer gut here. Drink hearty!!!

NO

And alcohol, when drunk in moderation, does not make you lose brain cells, only alcohol abuse does that.

That's just something pushed out by anti drinking groups.

uh, it doesn't kill them per-se, it just damages the ends, or the links between them or something, i looked it up once, but im pretty sure its not permanent.

Good God no!

Some of my greatest epiphanies have come while i have been pi$$ed witless.

no, as long as you drink regularly .

Drinking kills