She is the cats mother. What is the meaning/origin off this saying?

People used to say it a lot when I was a child. If I was talking about someone and referring to them as "she" even though that person was within ear shot of the conversation. I gathered that it was rude to refer to them as "she" when they were standing right next to me, but I never understood this saying and how it relates to this situation.

Sorry not off, of this saying!!

• Kathy

She's the cat's mother - A rebuke

A rebuke to someone who refers to a woman as 'she' instead of by her name, either formal or informal. The 'she' in the phrase is the female of a cat, the male being a 'tom', and is not to be applied to a woman when you're in her company.

Apparently, as children, it is a sign of disrespect to call your mother or female elder 'she'. You are supposed to address them by their proper name such as 'Mother' or 'Aunt' or 'Mrs.' or 'Miss'.

'she' is a (or 'the') cat's mother. One of the two or three best-known of the domestic catchphrases, this has, mid (?early) C19-20, been addressed, usually by a parent, to a child, whether very young or teenaged, referring thus to his or her mother. By 1960, slightly ob.

: : : There is a variant.: 'who is "she"? the cat's grandmother?': late C19-mid C20.

http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/17/messag...

she the cat's mother is what you say if someone is calling somebody else she instead of their given name.

It's a rebuke to someone who refers to a woman as 'she' instead of by her name, either formal or informal. The 'she' in the phrase is the female of a cat, the male being a 'tom', and is not to be applied to a woman when you're in her company.

http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/43/messag...

My mum said this but I've never of of a female cat being called 'she'. We all know a female dog is a *****, so why isn't she used? I've also heard that a cat is a molly or queen.