Why do some people say "I could care less"?

Saying "I could care less" implies that you actually care, since it would be possible for you to care less. When you say something like that, I think you're trying to imply that you don't care at all, which would be "I couldn't care less".

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best answer

I never confuse the two. I always say I could not care less.

• Brooky
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

I'm an Australian and we always say "I couldn't care less" which makes sense to me. I've noticed on Answers though that a very large number of Americans say "I could care less" and I've always thought it was really strange and meaningless when they're trying to say that they don't care. I know this doesn't answer your question, but I can't tell you how pleased I am that someone else also thinks it a strange thing to say.

• Babel
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

yeah it really should be "i couldn't care less" but i guess when people say "i could care less" instead it means that there too lazy to add the extra syllable or they just forget about it or don't think about what there saying. i'm sure i've done this before but when people say " i could care less" you know what they mean

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yea, it's because people don't think anymore because they don't know how to anymore. Somehow the phrase got turned around into something that is the exact opposite of the intended expression. I always point it out when other people say it and they usually have a surprised reaction before saying something along the lines of, "Huh...I guess you're right..."

You should see my sh-peel on spelling.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Hollie
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

It means the person does not care and that the level of his "caring" is not evident nor very high.

• 1 decade ago

well since you care you could actually care less, but if you didn't care you couldn't care less. :]

hope this helps

Lv 7
    1 decade ago

i always thought it WAS "i couldnt care less"...

maybe your hearing them wrong

• 1 decade ago

cos they are dopes

Source(s): me
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.