Fancy
Fancy asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 decade ago

Meals to make, cook and freeze for elderly dad to microwave later?

My mom passed away and did all of the cooking. Now my dad will only use the microwave to cook things (lean cuisines, etc.) or make sandwiches or have a yogurt of something. My sister and I would like to make him a bunch of meals to put in his freezer for a Christmas gift. I was looking for healthier recipes for us to make, cook and package up into small containers for him to micorwave later. Thanks for any recipes or ideas. He will eat just about anything.

if I made spaghetti sauce, can I cook noodles and freeze those plain spearatelY?

wow! Thanks everyone!!

• Rab.
    Favorite Answer

Hi Fancy, Firstly I'd like to say I am sorry for your loss. Your dad too will be suffering and I can understand him not wanting to cook at this time.

I have a few suggestions, but you will know best what dads likes and dislikes are. There are the old standbys like casseroles and stews which you could make in bulk and portion off. As to individual meals I am thinking along the lines of Fish Pie with creamed potato and crumb topping.this is basically a white fish sauce to which you add the cooked fish and when cold topped with potato served with green beans.

Almost everything that you would eat during the normal course of events can be *plated* in freezable containers as an individual course. I would steer clear of things like fried foods or foods in any kind of batter as they usually don't heat well in the microwave. Then there is curry and rice or stir fried rice. there are of course the individual 'tv' dinners but you would be better just looking at them for inspiration and making them yourself for one reason they are so full of salts and you would not want your dad to be living off of them for too long I am sure.Most soups will freeze well although I would avoid creamed type soups as they may split when being reheated.Pies will usually freeze well and you could make them individually or just portion them out. Pies are a lot of work so you could get a block of puff pastry or flaky pastry roll that out and cut into circles and bake them off. these could be used to top a beef stew for example instead of going to the trouble of making a full pie. A lot of pasta dishes will freeze well. I am thinking along the lines of pasta 'Bakes' where you cook pasta open a tin of condensed chicken soup add that and some cooked chicken ,combine the lot and top with cheese, After baking in the oven to colour the cheese these can be cooled and portioned. Similar quick meals can be made with mushroom soup etc. There are a multitude of sites I'm sure where you might get some inspiration from. However as I said If you think what you or your family usually eat and what your dad especially likes, you won't go far wrong.

I hope I have been of some help. All the best. Rab

Source(s): I am a Chef.
  • masri

Easy Meals For Elderly

• wha?

Burgeroni is our family favorite, no matter what the age!

Partially boil 1 lb elbow mac. Brown no more than 1 lb. ground beef and some chopped onion, add 1 can tomato paste plus 2 cans water, 1 can tomato sauce. Simmer a few minutes, then mix with drained mac. All these measurements can be altered to taste.

When we were first married with two kids and no money, I could stretch 1/4 lb beef and still make this a delicious meal!

Put in one large casseerole, or divide into separate serving dishes and lay on slices of American cheese, topping that with a few slices of bacon, both as much or as little as you prefer. The bacon flavors the cheese, which drips and blends both flavors with the beef & mac mixture.

Freeze or bake about 30 minutes in 350 degree oven, until bacon is done.

Double the recipe and save for a future meal!

To this day, this is still a family favorite, easy, inexpensive and even better for dinner the next day, unless somebody gets to the fridge the next day and eats it cold for breakfast!!!! My advice is to cover the leftovers and hide them in the back of the fridge so that you do get to serve it for another meal.

Casseroles are good -- lasagne or variations that you concoct with different pasta types, meats, veggies, and sauces.

Vary the items for variety. Instead of ground beef, cook up some chicken or turkey breast and dice it, or use ground turkey breast and make meatballs. Instead of regular pasta, add some whole grain pasta in to make it healthier.

After you make it, cut into meal-sized portions and freeze. It heats in about the same time as a Lean Cuisine, and is going to be free of preservatives.

Be sure to toss in lots of veggies and men generally don't like them as much, and being older he'll benefit from the fiber.

Meatloaf,mashed potatoes,greenbeens

Chicken any pieces fully cooked, potatoes anyway,vegtables

BBQ pork or Beef ( roast in crock pot, pour bbq sause after fully cooked so bbq sause dosnt burn)

Homeade vegtable soup

Tuna Cassarolle these are some ideas just get what he likes! Empty margerine bowls and cottage cheese containers work great, I do it all the time!

You can make ahead Breakfast burritos which are high in protein and can be individually wrapped and nuked for one minute to heat. Also go to Mc Donalds in the am and get sausage buscuits and freeze individually and heat one minute. Quiche too can be frozen. Already mixed up individual spaghetti serving with pasta already added.

Home made soups

Fish pie

Pasta sauces

Vegetable is not really a technological term, it is a cooking term. So the qualifications to become a vegetable are not very coherent, which is why we have cases like the tomato: people argue both ways.

• ?

My spouse and i favor vegetables but like fruits that we use in salad such as tomatoes and avocados.

Serengeti works great. Meat, potatoes and green beans. French Toast. This website might help too, I make this stuff for my family for yummy dinners on the go(:

http://www.kitchenlink.com/rcpmenus.html