ATM Bank Card stolen after I used it and money withdrawn - can I get this reimbursed by the bank?

After a night of drinking, I went to an ATM to withdraw some money. Because I was drunk, I didn't notice that someone was nearby looking at me enter my pin number. Soon after, I had the card stolen from me without me realising it so I didn't notice it was missing until about 6 hours later when I woke up.... show more After a night of drinking, I went to an ATM to withdraw some money. Because I was drunk, I didn't notice that someone was nearby looking at me enter my pin number. Soon after, I had the card stolen from me without me realising it so I didn't notice it was missing until about 6 hours later when I woke up. After searching for it and realising it was missing, I called the bank to cancel the card and was then told about all of the unauthorised transactions that took place after my last use of the card. They also told me that it would be difficult for me to get my money back from them because the person that stole it knew the pin number so there were no problems for them to use the card. They told me that it was a police matter BUT I could go to the bank and fill out a dispute form if I don't agree. After going to the police, they made it clear that their mission is to charge the person rather than retain the money. So I'm just wondering what the best way to approach this is to get my money back? Do I go to the bank and fill out this dispute form and if so, what do I say that will increase my chances of getting my money back? Or is there no chance since the person saw me key in my pin and therefore, the bank will put ME at fault??
Update: PS - I'm located in Australia and I've also given the police the exact times/locations where the withdrawals took place.
Update 2: Thanks for the response Sandi even though it was what I didn't want to hear. The amount was just under $2,000 so I really have to do something to try and get this back. I'm very pessimistic after that response so hopefully someone knows of other cases that have been positive and the bank has reimbursed the... show more Thanks for the response Sandi even though it was what I didn't want to hear. The amount was just under $2,000 so I really have to do something to try and get this back. I'm very pessimistic after that response so hopefully someone knows of other cases that have been positive and the bank has reimbursed the customer for the unauthorised transactions.
4 answers