How long should it take a new cat to settle in?

Late December, I took on two new cats. They are my friend's pets- both 6 year old Burmese girls (sisters) they have been together their whole lives. My friend is retired, and he is now living it up, and feels bad leaving the cats in catteries and thinks they would be happier in a home environment with people... show more Late December, I took on two new cats. They are my friend's pets- both 6 year old Burmese girls (sisters) they have been together their whole lives.
My friend is retired, and he is now living it up, and feels bad leaving the cats in catteries and thinks they would be happier in a home environment with people around most of the time.
I love these cats- I have known them since they were kittens, cat sat for them when my friend has been away, etc- so I was quite happy to take them.
I have had them for a month this week.
While one cat (Crystal) has settled in well- gets along with our other cat Zombie, tollerates the dogs, and is quite well adjusted and happy in her new home, the other cat (Esmeralda) is not coping so well.
She is scared of Zombie and the dogs. If the dogs are in the house, she generally wont come out of the bedroom. She will come and explore a little when the dogs are outside- but is still quite stressed in doing so.
She no longer likes being handled, she doesnt play with Crystal like she normally would, she talks much more than she normally would.
She really isnt happy. I can tell that she is trying to be- she does try to find people when they come over, she will come out into the kitchen, now, and she likes to sleep on me.
But whether she will settle in or not... she has been like this for weeks, and I havent really seen much of an improvement- especially compared to Crystal.
What is everyone's opinion? I love these cats, and I would love to keep them, but I dont want Esmeralda to be unhappy. The cats cant be parted. I honestly think that they would be better off in a home with no other pets. How long does it normally take for cats to settle in and do you think she ever will?
1 answer 1