Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsEngagements & Weddings · 1 decade ago

What's the best way to polish an engagement ring?

My engagement ring is lovely. It has a main bigger diamond on the top and then smaller diamonds embeded into the band. It's yellow gold. What's the best and cheapest way to polish it and how ofton should I do this?

Thanks. :)

Most jewelery stores will sell proper jewelery cleaner and its not too expensive. Don't use anything abrasive though, the diamonds wont scratch but the gold will. Don't polish it too much or you wont have a ring left I suggest every couple of months and on special occasions like your engagement party and wedding. Take your ring off if you do anything dirty like gardening or using your hands for making messy food. Get a nice chain or use one you already have to hang it on when you can't wear it then you wont loose it and you can always wear it.

Make sure you get the ring cleaned and checked once a year at least for the first year to make sure the settings are all secure you don't want to loose a stone. Make sure you have a proper itemized valuation done for insurance so if you loose a stone they can/will have it replaced.

I have a white gold band with diamonds and I use a soft bristle toothbrush with some cheap toothpaste, no gel though. Use just a dab and scrub away, it gets them really sparkly. Just make sure you rinse it really well. Also, I run my wedding set through the dishwasher in the compartment you can close and lock. the hot water and steam get it really clean, but I don't use detergent when I do it.

• ElleZ

It was recommended by our jeweler that you clean it about every six months. They of course said that they should be only one to do it, but I don't think that it is necessary to pay the jeweler every six months.

I bought a soft toothbrush (it is very important that it is a soft brush) and then put a small amount of dish soap with warm water in a bowl. Soak your ring for about five minutes than gently brush it with the toothbrush.

I do this every couple of months when it seems like it can use a facelift and it gets its gleam back. :)

you shouldn't need to polish it at all.

buy an ultrasonic cleaner from sharper image and use dishwashing liquid in hot water in the chamber.

once every few months some "clean shower" acid cleaner (sulfamic acid). to remove crud and hard water deposits. do not use hydrochloric acid, corrodes gold. dip in, rinse off, do not soak.