can i buy uranium, plutonium?

Ever since i did my paper on how nuclear bombs work i have been so curious about uranium and plutonium. I was wondering if there is possibly a stable isotope of either that i would be able to buy and maybe put in a glass case for display purposes.

• Colin

Uranium metal is available but not that readily. Try uranium nitrate as your specimen .. easier, does contain uranium [but fissile U235 will have been removed], not dangerously radioactive and the yellow-green crystals of uranium nitrate are triboluminescent.... lights up when shaken in the dark. I used to dem its radioactivity with a GM counter. Most of my students were quite happy with this when I was teaching fundamentals of the atomic and hydrogen bombs ..and some of their parents were working on the JET project [Nuclear fusion]. See info at http://www.jet.efda.org/jet/ for this.

Clearly you weren't aware that plutonium less than 1 millionth of a gram of plutonium is deadly. There is no safe isotope. Learn to speak Russian, have a few million dollars and hang around with shady characters ...you might be able to buy a sample! [but how would you know it really was?]

Source(s): retired chemistry teacher
  • Dr. V.

Uranium is actually quite easy to buy although it would be as an ionic compound rather than as the pure metal. Also it will be a mixture of isotopes. It will be expensive and radioactive although the level of radiation is quite low considering the dangerous isotope is in very low percentage. Plutonium is much more dangerous and not available without special licenses. As a civilian you would not be able to buy it.

Source(s): I'm an organic chemistry professor.

uraniumforsale.com

• Joyce

A pleasant little place called Chernobyl. Its in Pripyat, Ukraine. Get the planes from the North koreans or russians.,

Not likely, and if you could, it would be really REALLY expensive

if you get your hands on that stuff, remind me NOT to be near you.