What is the best way to incubate and collect hookworm (Necator Americanus) larvae?

I've posted this in lieu of creating a website, but hopefully in the future we can put together an online repository of hookworm farming techniques. So far, despite gathering all the information I can, I haven't had any luck collecting larvae. I can find dead larvae under my microscope, and as I'm... show more I've posted this in lieu of creating a website, but hopefully in the future we can put together an online repository of hookworm farming techniques. So far, despite gathering all the information I can, I haven't had any luck collecting larvae. I can find dead larvae under my microscope, and as I'm fairly sure that I've created a temperature controlled environment, I can only assume the poor Little'sfellows are dessicated. I'll continue experimenting with my incubation technique, but in the meantime, perhaps you could share some of your experiences.

As far as I can tell, hookworm eggs need to be incubated for about eight days at a temperature range of 25-35 degrees, with a humidity of above 60%.

I have built a homemade incubator using an old desk lamp and a styrofoam box. There are some good instructions for doing this here:
<>http://www.birdsale.com.au/Details/DIY_Incubators.html>

Mix some ffeceswith a moisture bearing medium in a container. I use soil because it is readily available, but i may be better to use autoclaved charcoal (if you can get it). I'm not sure if the hookworms survive in anaerobic conditions, so I'm erring on the side of caution and making sure the mixture is exposed to air. I would prefer if could seal the mixture, because it smells pretty bad.

I place the container in the climate controlled incubator for eight day, and then place two layers of material over the top. Hookworms are genetically programmed to seek the surface of any ground cover, so they will climb through both layers of material, and end up on the (supposedly) clean one.

Place the layer in distilled water, and examine the larvae under a microscope.

As far as I understand hookworm larvae can be cleaned with a 1% bleach solution (sodium hypochlorite) but I'm not sure how this would affect their lifespan.

So far, I haven't followed this process properly, but I'm hoping in about eight day I should have some happy healthy hookworm larvae.
1 answer 1