Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 10 years ago

How can Isaiah 53 be a prophecy of Jesus when Christians believe Jesus is God?

In Isaiah 53 the whole Chapter uses the word "servant". It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that the word servant doesn't in any way make one equal or the same as God.

So why do Christians claim Jesus is God but then claim he is prophesied in Isaiah 53? A chapter that uses servant in reference to the messiah.

17 Answers

Relevance
  • Kuhita
    Lv 7
    10 years ago
    Best answer

even the word Christ(Messiah) doesn't mean God.

• 10 years ago

In the old testament, God had many 2 part names that described His "God"ness, and a virtue or nature. For instance "God" that "heals", or "God" that "provides". All of these different attributes relate to things that God does towards mankind. So, is it so far fetched to see that if He heals, supplies needs, defends, (and provides a free ticket to a fulfilling eternity) He might be called "servant"? Do these actions show self serving or man serving?

Moving to the new testament, you see the son of God spending 3 or so years almost exclusively denying his Godhood, and laying down His life to paint the picture for mankind. Jesus is the express image of God. The Father gives hugely.... The Son gives hugely. I'm not sure I would take a splinter for someone else, I tend to still look out for myself. God and His Son are not selfish.... they are looking out for all of us all the time.

• That would be because only trinitarians believe they are the same person, 3 in 1. Clearly though the Bible speaks otherwise.

Myth 4: God Is a Trinity

What is the origin of the myth?

“The impression could arise that the Trinitarian dogma is in the last analysis a late 4th-century invention. In a sense, this is true . . . The formulation ‘one God in three Persons’ was not solidly established, certainly not fully assimilated into Christian life and its profession of faith, prior to the end of the 4th century.”—New Catholic Encyclopedia (1967), Volume 14, page 299.

“The Council of Nicaea met on May 20, 325 [C.E.]. Constantine himself presided, actively guiding the discussions, and personally proposed . . . the crucial formula expressing the relation of Christ to God in the creed issued by the council, ‘of one substance with the Father.’ . . . Overawed by the emperor, the bishops, with two exceptions only, signed the creed, many of them much against their inclination.”—Encyclopædia Britannica (1970), Volume 6, page 386.

What does the Bible say?

“Stephen, filled with the Holy Spirit, gazed into heaven and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing at God’s right hand. ‘Look! I can see heaven thrown open,’ he said, ‘and the Son of man standing at the right hand of God.’”—Acts 7:55, 56, The New Jerusalem Bible.

What did this vision reveal? Filled with God’s active force, Stephen saw Jesus “standing at God’s right hand.” Clearly, then, Jesus did not become God again after his resurrection to heaven but, rather, a distinct spiritual being. There is no mention of a third person next to God in this account. Despite attempts to find passages of Scripture to support the Trinity dogma, Dominican priest Marie-Émile Boismard wrote in his book À l’aube du christianisme—La naissance des dogmes (At the Dawn of Christianity—The Birth of Dogmas): “The statement that there are three persons in the one God . . . cannot be read anywhere in the New Testament.”

The dogma that Constantine championed was intended to put an end to dissensions within the fourth-century Church. However, it actually raised another issue: Was Mary, the woman who bore Jesus, “the Mother of God”?

Compare these Bible verses: Matthew 26:39; John 14:28; 1 Corinthians 15:27, 28; Colossians 1:15, 16

FACT:

The Trinitarian dogma is a late fourth-century invention

--------------------------------------…

There is a lot more to consider on the subject but this is the summary of it.

If you would like to know more about this and other themes, next time Jehovah's Witness come to your door, ask them for a free Bible study at your convenience. You will never regret all the knowledge you will acquire and remember that what you do with that knowledge is your choice.

Knowledge + Application = Wisdom

Source(s): Watchtower magazine November 1 2009 p. 7 Myth 4: God Is a Trinity the Bible
  • 10 years ago

SeeMatthew 20 28just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many."

Jesus is called God - John 1:1,14; 20:28; Col. 2:9; Titus 2:13; Heb. 1:8

Jesus is the image of the invisible God - Heb. 1:3

Jesus abides forever - Heb. 7:24

Jesus created all things - John 1:1-3; Col. 1:15-17

Jesus is before all things - John 1:1-3; Col. 1:17;

Jesus is eternal - John 1:1,14; 8:58; Micah 5:1-2

Jesus is honored the same as the Father - John 5:23

Jesus is prayed to - Acts 7:55-60; 1 Cor. 1:2 with Psalm 116:4; (John 14:14)

Jesus is worshipped - Matt. 2:2,11; 14:33; John 9:35-38; Heb. 1:6

Jesus is omnipresent - Matt. 18:20; 28:20

Jesus is with us always - Matt. 28:20

Jesus is our only mediator between God and ourselves - 1 Tim. 2:5

Jesus is the guarantee of a better covenant - Heb. 7:22; 8:6

Jesus said, "I AM the Bread of Life" - John 6:35,41,48,51

Jesus said, "I AM the Door" - John 10:7,9

Jesus said, "I AM the Good Shepherd" - John 10:11,14

Jesus said, "I AM the Way the Truth and The Life" - John 14:6

Jesus said, "I AM the Light of the world" - John 8:12; 9:5; 12:46; Luke 2:32

Jesus said, "I AM the True Vine" - John 15:1,5

Jesus said, "I AM the Resurrection and the Life" - John 11:25

Jesus said, "I AM the First and the Last" - Rev. 1:17; 2:8; 22:13

Jesus always lives to make intercession for us - Heb. 7:25

Jesus cleanses from sin - 1 John 1:9

Jesus cleanses us from our sins by His blood - Rev. 1:5; Rom. 5:9

Jesus forgives sins - Matt. 9:1-7; Luke 5:20; 7:48

Jesus saves forever - Matt. 18:11; John 10:28; Heb. 7:25

Please pray a sincere prayer with all of your heart admitting to Jesus you are a sinner. Have full faith that His blood pays off all of your sins and accept His gift of everlasting life.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

All those 'Christians' (ALL) were Jews !!

And Jesus spent much of His ministry making it clear that the Suffering Servant was not separate from the Messiah...You seem to be unaware that even Josephus says that at the time of Jesus there was no one Judaism, there were at least 5 major sects.

But they were all Jews who made the claim you attribute anachronistically to Christians..they even 'went to Temple' after the Resurrection.

• Frank
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

Jesus came as a servant to show us how to serve. Maybe you will recall when Jesus washed the feet of the disciples and they tried to prevent Him from doing so. He said to them that if they did not allow this they would have no part of Him.

Jesus and God are part of the Godhead. There are times when they are described as co-equal and there are times when one is greater than the other. It is obvious that they have different roles whilst still being GOD.

• 10 years ago

Christians have become well versed in twisting the scriptures to say what they wish as opposed to what it really says. Jesus was not God. Jesus was not the Jewish Messiah. Jesus was a fabrication of Rome which might have been loosely based on a Jewish Rabbi. Isn't it something how nobody can read and understand the Bible except a Christian that has accepted Rome's story hook line and sinker? God is God and Jesus is a myth, same as Horus.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Phl 2:7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:

Isaiah 53 goes on to tell of a man who has no children, and then dies, but then sees his children.

• 10 years ago

God is a spirit not a human. No one can look upon him and live. that is in the Bible,. So he came down in human form in the name of Jesus. that is how he was able to so many unexplained miracles. The problem that many people have is that they are thinking in the real word instead of the spiritual world which is entirely different.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Here's the logical fault in your argument:

"It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that the word servant doesn't in any way make one equal or the same as God."

Though that is obviously true, it is equally obviously true that the word "servant" does not in any way preclude one from being God.

Or are you implying that it is impossible for God to serve?

Jim, http://www.bible-reviews.com

• Karl P
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

Because He IS GOD!! Also, read Exodus 3:14 as compared to John 8:58 and Isaiah 7:14 as compared to Matthew 1:23 for more! (He is also The Holy Living Word!) John 1:1. "He" is "More" than you 'think'. ;)

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.