Why are humans more important than other animals?

And why aren't humans ever classified as animals? We evolved from apes, we are animals by definition, but I don't even think we are classified as fauna... why? And while we're on the topic, why is abusing a human much more of a crime than abusing, say a dog? And why is abusing a dog more of a crime... show more And why aren't humans ever classified as animals? We evolved from apes, we are animals by definition, but I don't even think we are classified as fauna... why?

And while we're on the topic, why is abusing a human much more of a crime than abusing, say a dog? And why is abusing a dog more of a crime than abusing a pig? Today I asked one of my other animal lover friends and she honestly replied to me "Because dogs are more likable." Granted, dogs are usually domesticated animals, but chickens and pigs can be too, plus pigs have the intelligence of a three year old child, compared to (no offence to my lovelly mutt dog sitting beside me lol) a dumb dog, so why are they so much more special?

I honestly think there is something wrong with the mentality of humanity and I honestly don't think we are any more special than a dog or a pig, but let's not go on about that.

Please don't go spastic at me, these are just some of my thoughts, and I just want to know your opinion. If you don't agree, great, but tell me why.