?
? asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

German Shepherd #2 most aggressive breed?

There was an online poll, and the Dog Whisperer viewers voted Pit Bulls as the #1 most aggressive breed, German Shepherds as the #2 most aggressive breed, and Rottweilers as the #3 most aggressive breed. I wouldn't have thought German Shepherds would have made it as the #2 most aggressive breed; I thought everyone was just afraid of Pit Bulls and Rottweilers these days. Can you believe this?

• Muffin

I can easily believe it. A lot of people think they're all aggressive because they're used as police attack dogs... they have big teeth, and resemble wolves. Well.. that's what I hear from other people that are afraid of them. The media makes them look like monsters. Like when there's a police raid or something they usually have dogs available and sometimes they show the dogs actually attacking people. And I've sort of noticed that when a dog like a German Shepherd, Pit Bull, Rottweiler. etc.. attacks someone people make a big deal about it. But if a dog that people call the "friendliest" breed (Like a Labrador or Golden), people try to ignore it. -.-

German Shepherd Aggressive Breed

• My aunt thinks the same way about German Shepherds, all Pit Bulls, and Rottweilers. She keeps telling me one of the dog's I work with are going to attack me or kill me. She thinks the only reason my pet is nice, is because he isn't a full blood GSD. She thinks all the police GSD's are blood thirsty and would kill people is the police didn't pull them off. She is very ignorant.

The sad thing is, this is probably true. Most of those dogs are aggressive, but only because of the idiots that own them. They get an APBT and think, "Oh... it's okay if I don't socialize him!" Then their dog gets out, attacks another dog, and the people and media scream, "Vicious breed! Vicious breed!" I wish BYB's and puppy mills would stop breeding these dogs and them selling them to the first idiot that lines up, cash in hand. I wish some shelters and rescues would 100% make sure the person they are giving this breed can handle them. Some people own a goldfish and think, "I'm going to get a German Shepherd!" Then their dog bites someone and that person thinks all GSD's are aggressive.

Source(s): Work with beautiful, loving GSD's
  • I think it's because people see German Shepherds as police dogs. The funny thing is, chihuahuas would be up there for me if I were to list the breeds I thought were the most aggressive. It says aggressive, not likely to do the most harm! :)

Some people are irrationally afraid of all pitbulls and rottweilers which is a shame because with the right leadership and training from their owners they can be such awesome dogs. I'm with you, I would have thought the list would have gone #1 Pittbulls #2 Rottweilers #3 German Shepherds if stuck with those as the three to choose from.

Its an online pole so its just a matter of peoples opinions. Those 3 breeds are all very strong and a lot of times owned by the wrong people for the wrong reason so people assume they are aggressive.

Normally when I see statistics like this APBT is number one and rotti is number 2 so it is a bit odd to see GSD come in as number 2.

People can think what they want, but any dog can be great or aggressive no matter what breed.

Source(s): Owner of bully breeds

There is NO difference in temperament between Black, Sable, Black and gold/red, white GSD's. So a Black German Shepherd Dog is NOT more aggressive, it is still a German Shepherd Dog. In my opinion, they look more intimidating. For a shiny coat, feed him some sardines twice a week (not to many at first and watch his stool to see if there are any adverse reactions) and also a raw egg yolk (not the whites) every third day.

Some German Shepherds are aggressive because they are trained to be aggressive. Even the kindest breed of dog can be trained to be aggressive. It just depends on how the owner treats it and how it grows up. Aren't American Cocker Spaniels supposed to be nice? Well, mine didn't get training when it grew up, so he tries to attack anyone doesn't know. And my Sheltie doesn't like other dogs, and their supposed to be nice. If a German Shepherd had a bad experience, then he would probably be mean.Depends on their background.

• Nikki

it is because people don't know that a german shepherd requires a 100+ positive experiences a day as a puppy for socialization, and don't know that it requires a MINIMUM of 2 hours mental and physical stimulation. and they don't do their homework before purchasing..and a dog becomes aggressive because or improper socialization or fear aggression, because it was never taken out..a lot of GSD are kept as outdoor dogs or caged all day with no stimulation, and then they wonder what happened to their dog? it's a working breed, and i think that people should do their homework with these types of dogs..

alot of times people also want these dogs because they want "protection" but don't even take them to schutzhund..well i wonder what they did to train it on their own..they think protection dogs are supposed to be aggressive.

these are the main points why gsd and rotties are on the list

Pit bulls are #1 most aggressive breed? HA! are you kidding me?!?! I know PLENTY of pit bulls that wouldn't even hurt a fly!

And a matter of fact! I am going to be getting a pit bull,when I can support it money-wise(somewhere in the near future)

Source(s): Life,outside of the internet

Honestly, it is all in the way they are raised. Since they are bigger dogs, a lot of people push them outside and don't pay attention to them or mistreat them because "They're big so they can take it." Believe it or not, a small dog can be just as aggressive but won't do as much damage.

Source(s): Dad's a vet.