sick of it asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

What breed of dog is best for my family?

We have 4 members- 2 are under the age of 2. We like to travel, but I would be home all day usually. I don't want a dog that sheds...We don't have a lot of open space, and live close to a road, but I would use a leash. We live near a park for exercise. My husband doesn't want a "needy small dog" in his words... I want a dog that is even tempered, friendly, but not over excitable... I don't mind large dogs, as long as they aren't aggressive. What do you think?

though there are some dogs that don't shed (or shed very little), there aren't many that satisfy all your needs. off the top of my head, the only non-shedders i know are either hairless or sighthounds or "needy small dogs" lol. but sighthounds are fragile and not suitable for small children who may play too rough.

i suggest you research gun dogs. several of them are good with families and high energy, but quite trainable and able to live in the house as well. also, they're big and strong enough to withstand your children, but family friendly enough to not retaliate and bite them. you being home all day would also keep them happy as they prefer to be nearby you.

if you get over the shedding thing, i definitely suggest a border collie. they mostly only shed during the summer, which we fixed by just going to petsmart to have her shaved every summer. the fur is back by wintertime. they're good indoor dogs and quickly learn any and all house rules including boundaries on certain rooms and such and they're perfect for kids. to this day (and i'm 18 now), i'm pretty sure my border collie raised me more than my mother did (and this is a good thing lol). literally though, she was super-protective. my mother could put me and the dog outside and tell her not to let me leave the yard. if i tried, she stood in front of me or grabbed my shirt and hauled me back to the middle of the yard. to a border collie, children and sheep are pretty much the same thing: objects to be herded. she was also really smart, housebroken in maybe a week, learned every trick the first or second day we tried it with her, and smart enough not to do anything stupid. she would run away to explore and we didn't mind because she actually checked the street for cars (you think i'm crazy, but i've seen her do it). all puppies are overly excitable until they turn maybe two, just so you're aware, but as far as the excitement, my border usually jogs up to greet any new people, lets them pet her head once or twice, and then goes back to patrol the yard.

in all honesty though, for most breeds, i would wait until your kids are older than 4 before you get a dog. if you're at home that you're absolutely sure you can prevent any mishaps, than maybe, but i can just imagine a child leaping from a couch arm onto a dog's back trying to play cowboy or something and now you've got at the very least, a broken leg to pay for and unless the dog is very well-trained (and i woudn't blame the dog) a kid needing stitches from a dog bite.

Source(s): try a dog breed selector quiz (there's one on animal planet.com.) subscribe to a dog magazine for tips. go to your local shelter and look around. take a few for a walk and see what you think.
  • izak

i do no longer know your loved ones so i'm no longer able to actual and accurately answer your question. right here is what I recommend. Get the finished kinfolk at the same time and circulate on your nearest animal shield. those individuals might have an more suitable thought of what might greater healthful your loved ones ultimate. Many shelters additionally opt for to make certain the excellent dogs circulate to the excellent kinfolk. the employees there get down interior the dumps whilst they get a dogs lower back. they opt for issues to circulate precise on the 1st circulate around. avert the dressmaker dogs breeds. people will breed them interior the hopes that purely the ultimate features of the two breeds would be present interior the puppies. What can and does ensue is a catastrophe. i might desire to circulate into an exceptionally long rant right here approximately dressmaker dogs, and puppy turbines, and undesirable breeders. in case you do no longer opt for a shield dogs and are available to a call to purchase a dogs avert the puppy shops. you're able to think of you have become a appropriate dogs at a keep regardless of the indisputable fact that it is quite probably you will get a puppy mill dogs. Getting a dogs from a sturdy breeder is plenty greater desirable than a puppy keep dogs. a sturdy breeder is in it for the affection of the breed and the affection of dogs. funds is secondary to them. sure there are sturdy breeders yet you will might desire to seek for them. i'm going to end it right here with the aid of suggesting a shield dogs. most of the dogs actors you notice interior the action pictures have been shield rescues. sturdy dogs are positioned to sleep on a daily basis at animal shelters. i might follow the greater properly commonplace shelters. regardless of shelters there are sturdy ones and undesirable ones.

What about a standard poodle? I was going to suggest an american pit bull terrier but they tend to be excitable unless they are exercised a lot. If you can provide that though, they're good family dogs! :D

There's also lots of dogs in shelters who could meet what you want in the dog. Also I live in a condo so no fence and I have a boxer/pit mix, I make do with long walks and little jogs here and there. He's still a puppy though, so he gets tired easily. :P

Pugs are great for small children. The fawn colored ones do shed a lot, the black ones don't. Boxers are also great dogs. Whatever breed you do choose, I would get one that is a couple of years old. It would be very difficult to deal with a puppy and small children. Good luck with your search.

I think a labrador would suit your family well, they are very good family dogs. They do need a lot of exercise though but if you can walk it or play fetch at the park that would be fine. But make sure you train your dog what ever breed you get.

This is a dog breed selector, you answer a few questions and it will give you a handful of breeds that fit your situation http://animal.discovery.com/breedselector/dogselec...

You also might want to look at these Dog 101 videos on youtube... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cj81wHmfXc

Youtube thumbnail

this one is for labs but they do have other breeds and give you some good information.

• guy

Poodle. We've had poodles all our married life because they don't shed. Stick with the miniature size (not standard or toy). Easily trained. Our dogs have always been trained (by us) to walk by our side with (or without) a leash, to not be in the room where meals are served, to let us know when he or she wants to go outside. I made a dog door from a sheet of boating windshield glass (height of patio door, width 15"; cut a hole for the dog size etc) which worked well and our dogs continually used it.

We had a schnauzer when I was a young child. They shed very little and don't have many health issues. She lived to be 15 years old, which isn't really common, average is 10-12 years. They love spending time with the family and don't bark at everything that moves. They travel well and have great personalities.

Get in contact with your vet. We have done this and booked an appointment with them to talk about our options. They can help you decide what breed is right for you and what you need to do in preparation for bringing a puppy into your home, and also what has to happen once you have the puppy. Good luck! It's so exciting for your family!

I think you should rethink this until the kids are bigger and you have a decent fenced yard for him to play.Most dogs shed, thats life, most dogs are friendly by nature but stay friendly by proper training.All dogs when under 6 years are playful and can ve excitable....maybe a stuffed toy dog would work. Dogs are consistant work for about 15 years, and take up alot of your time. Each time you travel you will have to board the dog, and of course there are vet bills too

Well, from my experience, I think labradors are great dogs. They are very friendly. But they do tend to shed. Great danes are also very friendly dogs, they are very gentle and are great with kids. German shepards are great too. I used to have one when I was 3 and I would pull on his tail and he never snapped at me. They are also very protective and great guard dogs. Walker hounds are very sweet. Overall I would recommend the labrador. They are very sweet dogs, they are loyal, protective and very friendly. Good luck and choose wisely!

Source(s): Eight dogs