What age does a German shepherd matures to adult?

I own a female German shepherd, she's 14 months old now. She's a fantastic dog, but still behaves like a 3-4 month old terrified puppy. Outside she acts normal during daylight. But nightfall, she acts very insecure, hardly moves, she's afraid of every sound, every movement, etc..... If I drop... show more I own a female German shepherd, she's 14 months old now. She's a fantastic dog, but still behaves like a 3-4 month old terrified puppy. Outside she acts normal during daylight.

But nightfall, she acts very insecure, hardly moves, she's afraid of every sound, every movement, etc..... If I drop something on the floor, she runs up to the couch, lay by me from her favorite spot.

It seems the older she gets, the more afraid she becomes at nightfall. She acts as if someone abuses her, but no one harms her. She sleeps in my bedroom every night, by day she acts like a normal dog, but at night, she starts acting very strange.

A friend gave her to me, when she was 2 months old, had to leave the country. He kept her outside 24/7, which could have traumatized her or somethin. At night she's real nervous, starts huffing/puffing as if she is out of breath, after I pet her, calm her down, she zonks out.

At night, she just becomes too afraid to move, until something startles her, she will freeze or sprint, very strange, when I call her, she will act like a 3-4 month old puppy or sprint. During the day, she walks normal. She acts as if someone is chasing her. She never walks calmly, at night. No problem during the day, but at night, she sprints.

During the day, she behaves like a gaurd dog. She has a jekyll/hyde personality.

Is this normal for a Shepherd at her age. Thanks for any suggestions.
4 answers 4