Ladies, do you think you could give me some advice so I don't keep screwing up?

Currently I'm 17 and have never had a girlfriend. Considering that I'm going to graduate and go to a much nicer part of the country in the fall, I don't really see the point in trying to find one during my last few months living in a paradise for senior citizens and soccer moms. I figure it's... show more Currently I'm 17 and have never had a girlfriend. Considering that I'm going to graduate and go to a much nicer part of the country in the fall, I don't really see the point in trying to find one during my last few months living in a paradise for senior citizens and soccer moms. I figure it's probably better to just wait it out and give it a shot later on. I live in a small town where people don't seem to be able to forget stupid mistakes and give a guy a second chance. I was kind of a screw-up a few years ago, but I've managed to turn my act around. However, it still comes up occasionally with the people here and it's really come back to bite me in the ***.

Anyway, I was sort of wondering if any of you ladies out there would be kind enough to give me some advice on what girls like and don't like, and what not to do in particular. I know they don't particularly like guys who smoke, drink, or abuse drugs but I don't do any of those things. I'm more concerned with what not to do, since that's where I seem to have the most problems.

There are a couple girls I almost asked out once upon a time, but both times some other guy beat me to it. Of course, I don't really have a right to be jealous or get pissed off if I'm not willing to step up to the plate in the first place. Eventually, I realized I'd be just as happy to have them as friends, and it's actually worked pretty well. I guess my self-esteem could use a bit of work, huh?

According to everyone I know, I've got a great sense of humor and I'll admit, I love making people laugh. I guess I'm a but shy at first, but that's probably because I tend to be skeptical and cautious. I'd have to say my personality would be more of a type B with a work ethic. I'm just curious, do I stand a chance in hell later on? I know this might be a bit long, but thanks for looking it over. Feel free to contact me if you've got any other questions.