Do you really need a timing belt cover?

I bought a 95 Honda Civic 2 months ago and the a/c belt broke and the mechanic said the timing belt cover is missing and wants to charge me 350 for parts (he says there are other belt covers missing too) and 300 for labor. I know this is a ridiculous amount and am not going to pay for it, but, should I save my money and eventually get a timing belt cover? I've heard people say you don't need one, you'll just wear out the belt faster. Thanks for any help!

Yes, I really need an answer for this. I've been reading threads on the Honda Forum and have heard people say they have been driving without a cover for years (their reason is for looks rather than mine...being poor). If you don't think it's a reasonable question then don't waste your time answering it.

• ouch

Rabbit,

I hate to say it but they are pulling your leg in this case. My argument for any mechanic whom states you need a belt cover. Ask why a car can run a serpentine belt without a cover? Why have cars since the late 1800 until now not have covers on all thier belts? It's a moot point and any mechanic with half a brain or an ASE cert will know you don't NEED it. Mactruck is correct, it is there to protect the belt from debris ect. Also it is there to protect your car incase it gives out. The timing belt is under some pressure compared to that of a standard serpentine belt. However, that is is not the point. Many cars and motor cycles run with timing covers off with no adverse affects, especially on a Hondas. Also there is a lower cover and an upper cover on these cars. Sounds like it's been done before, because anyone who does it once will just leave the cover off for the next time. Makes it way easier. On a the 95 and older honda you have to pull the crank pulley to get to the cover bolts just to get to the belt. In this case with the belt covers off you would be cutting some subsantial time off in chaning it.

Timing Belt Cover

I know there are people out there who remove them for looks. The cost you are getting quoted is too high though. Find another mechanic, Im sure LKQ could get the covers at a fraction of what your getting quoted, and the labor should be around $120-$170 to install. I would advise you to replace them though. The main thing is that if something did get in there and get caught up you can face immediate engine damage. Think pistons and valves meeting at high velocity. Also timing belts are cog belts and those teeth will grab anything they can and pull it in with them much easier than a serpentine belt. Your not showing off your engine to other people so you don't care if anyone sees the gears, covers will prolong the life of the belt and you don't want to pay for timing belt repair any more often than you have to.

Timing belt is use to synchronize between the work of crankshaft and the camshaft, it use to have a synchronize work between do compression, igniting, and valve to open and close to the input and output valve. That's why the timing belt is so important. The timing belt cover is use to avoid the belt to be broken by damaging things and debris, the cover make the belt will hold for about 75 miled before the change. On some case of car, the broken belt cause the piston to have a hole and the valve get bent by the impact. The forum you read might mean not use a timing belt, but a timing chain. It stronger then belt, only cause a noisy sound when get worn.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Do you really need a timing belt cover?

I bought a 95 Honda Civic 2 months ago and the a/c belt broke and the mechanic said the timing belt cover is missing and wants to charge me 350 for parts (he says there are other belt covers missing too) and 300 for labor. I know this is a ridiculous amount and am not going to pay for it, but,...

Source(s): timing belt cover: https://tr.im/8SveH
  • Otto

The cover protects the belt and its related components. It needs to be in place. ADDED....."Ouch" seems to think he knows it all. The covers should be in place to prevent debris from doing damage as well as a safety shield to keep those who would be dumb enough to try tinkering with a running vehicle from losing a finger or two. No ASE mechanic is going to say it is a good idea to run without them. If you live in an area where there is a lot of rain running without the covers will definitely do harm to the bearing and tensioner areas.

Source(s): A mechanic for over 45 years.

True you can go without the cover the belts will be fine (unless you go mudding** often) and I'm not so sure about the wearing faster statement either. You car is 15 years old; that means other things could go wrong with it so save your cash in case of other break downs. Keep up with the engine oil changes; it does help the life of the engine.

**Mudding:

http://image.automotive.com/f/featuredvehicles/100...

• ?

Yes, it is there for a reason. Pebbles, oil, and broken belts can get caught between the timing belt and gear.

You're getting screwed faster than your name. Why don't you take a picture of your engine where it shows all of the pulleys and post it. It's kinda hard to believe you don't have any covers.

The manufcturer thought it needed one when the car was built.