KSH asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 10 years ago

OAMC (once a month cooking) questions/freezing meals?

I have never made anything ahead of time with the purpose of freezing it to have a quick meal later.. So I have some questions.. My second child is due in 8 weeks and I would like to make up a whole lot of dinners and other meals ahead of time... Questions:

1) Can anyone give me some ideas of WHAT freezes best?

2) Are there breakfast and lunch foods that can freeze too?

3) Would it work fine to leave meats raw and just season/marinate them and then freeze them, since seasoning/marinating is the most time consuming (and I can always get hubby to just throw it on the grill-quick and easy)

4) What do I use to freeze the meals in? I don't have a foodsaver or anything like that, do I need to get one or will zip lock bags and plastic containers be fine??

5) Will freezing about 1 months worth of dinners be feasible? I have a deep freeze.

6) Is it ok to just "assemble" the ingredients and then freeze them without cooking first? For example- A chicken pot pie (of course the chicken would be cooked because I always cook it before putting it in the pie).. I use frozen mixed veggies and cream of mushroom soup and a home made pie crust- would it be ok just to put it all together and freeze it without cooking it first. Then all I would have to do is put it in the oven. It would take longer because it would have to FULLY cook instead of just re-heat, but who says you can't do that?? Wouldn't it turn out fine? (similar to my question about seasoning meat and freezing raw)

Any good websites would be nice too. I know its good to learn things by trial&error, but I dont really have time for that as I am due in 8 weeks. So getting it mostly right the first time would be nice. So if anyone has experience with this, please help!! THANKS!!! :-)

Favorite Answer

Your question is very complex and you may not receive many answers that satisfy your situation.

I suggest you go to Google and type in "freezer meals" and you will get many websites that will help. Below is the Google search I tried.

http://www.google.com/search?q=freezer+meals&rls=c...

Good Luck and

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY!!!

Beef Enchiladas freeze well. INGREDIENTS 1 cup chopped onion 1 pound sirloin steak, cut into bite size strips 1 teaspoon minced garlic 2 (7 ounce) cans diced green chile peppers 4 cups tomato sauce, divided 2 teaspoons chili powder 1 (12 ounce) package corn tortillas 1/2 cup fresh salsa 3/4 cup chopped black olives, drained 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese 1/2 cup sour cream 1/3 cup chopped green onion Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a large casserole dish. In a skillet over medium heat, saute onions until almost translucent. Stir in beef, garlic, and chile peppers, and continue cooking until the meat is no longer pink. Pour in the tomato sauce and chili powder. Mix thoroughly and heat through. Remove from heat. Spoon a little of the meat mixture into a corn tortilla and add small amounts of salsa, Cheddar cheese and olives. Fold the tortilla up and place in the prepared casserole dish. Repeat for the remaining tortillas using up all of the meat mixture. Reserve 1/2 cup of Cheddar cheese for topping. Pour the other half of the tomato sauce and sour cream over all of the tortillas. Top with green onions and 1/2 cup of reserved Cheddar cheese. Bake 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until hot and bubbly. I will edit if i think of more.