'Young Earth' Christians; Please answer....?

Genesis 1: 1 says; In the Beginning, God created the heavens and the earth."

Since no time or age is given for the "beginning", doesn't this verse allow for the geology of the earth to be billions of years old?

I also believe in the creation of man as told in Genesis, but I think claims of a 6,000 year old planet are not supported by true science, and not required to believe in the creation account.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Rick G
    Lv 7
    10 years ago
    Best answer

You are right. Genesis 1:1 is not part of the following 7 days of creation. And those creative days are not limited to the 24 hour concept, since in Hebrew, the word translated "day" can be of various lengths, even shorter than 24 hours.

Jehovah God introduced this fundamental division of time on the first “day” of the period during which he prepared the earth for mankind, when diffused light evidently penetrated the swaddling bands, thus causing the moisture-covered earth to experience its first day and night as it rotated on its axis through the light of the sun. “God brought about a division between the light and the darkness. And God began calling the light Day, but the darkness he called Night.” (Ge 1:4, 5) Here the word “Day” refers to the daylight hours in contrast with the nighttime. However, the record thereafter goes on to use the word “day” to refer to other units of time of varying length. In both the Hebrew and the Greek Scriptures, the word “day” (Heb., yohm; Gr., he·me′ra) is used in a literal and in a figurative or even symbolic sense.

This flexible use of the word “day” to express units of time of varying length is clearly evident in the Genesis account of creation. Therein is set forth a week of six creative days followed by a seventh day of rest. The week assigned for observance by the Jews under the Law covenant given them by God was a miniature copy of that creative week. (Ex 20:8-11) In the Scriptural record the account of each of the six creative days concludes with the statement: “And there came to be evening and there came to be morning” a first, second, third, fourth, fifth, and sixth day. (Ge 1:5, 8, 13, 19, 23, 31) The seventh day, however, does not have this ending, indicating that this period, during which God has been resting from his creative works toward the earth, continued on. At Hebrews 4:1-10 the apostle Paul indicated that God’s rest day was still continuing in his generation, and that was more than 4,000 years after that seventh-day rest period began. This makes it evident that each creative day, or work period, was at least thousands of years in length. As A Religious Encyclopaedia (Vol. I, p. 613) observes: “The days of creation were creative days, stages in the process, but not days of twenty-four hours each.”—Edited by P. Schaff, 1894.

The entire period of the six time units or creative “days” dedicated to the preparation of planet Earth is summed up in one all-embracing “day” at Genesis 2:4: “This is a history of the heavens and the earth in the time of their being created, in the day that Jehovah God made earth and heaven.”

Young Earthers live by a dogma created by the Catholic Church (and which has abandoned it). Yet they are mainly Protestants!! Explain THAT one!!

• MPH
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

You're wrong, a time is given. God said it was the first day. I tend to believe God over your little theory.

That's OK if science can't support 6000 years creation. Science still can't do a lot of things, like cure the common cold.

1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

4 And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.

5 And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.

• 10 years ago

There is no reason to think that a Genesis 1 "day" is any different from a modern day. After all, in Genesis 1 the sun was made to rule over the day and the moon was made to rule over the night. Romans 5:12-14 teaches:

"Therefore, just as sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin, and in this way death came to all men, because all sinned— or before the law was given, sin was in the world. But sin is not taken into account when there is no law. Nevertheless, death reigned from the time of Adam to the time of Moses, even over those who did not sin by breaking a command, as did Adam, who was a pattern of the one to come."

Death enters the world after Adam's sin. If the world is millions or billions of years old, then Adam arrives on a planet littered with the bones of the dead who died before him. This is not a Christian concept because Christianity ties sin, death, and the need of a Savior inextricably together. Romans 6:23:

"For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord."

This great effort to find a "gap" in Genesis did not start until evolution became the chosen religion of most scientists and much science occurred before it did. There are many arguments for creation, so it is not necessary to reconcile creation with evolution. Many can be found here: http://www.creationmoments.com/articles/article.ph...

In any event, a belief in death before Adam strikes right at the heart Christianity's central theme. . . no, sine qua non, of salvation. Sorry.

• 10 years ago

I have looked into what the leading YECs say, and they admit that one of the *literal* definitions of 'day' (yom) in Hebrew is long period of time, but they say that a 24-hour day is 'the most straightforward reading' in Genesis chapter 1.

They are right that it is the most straightforward reading in English translations, but such is not the case in Hebrew. They also ignore contextual considerations. For example, they say everything was created in 6 days, but then Genesis 2:4 says that everything was made in one day. This creates a contradiction if a literal 24-hour day is meant. But there is no contradiction if a long period of time is meant.

Many YECs don't realize that the day-age interpretation of Genesis pre-dates modern scientific dating methods. So the day-age understanding of Genesis is not just a compromise between the Bible and the findings of science.

The Genesis creation account can consistently be understood in a day-age understanding. Hebrew grammar and word definitions allow for this. Science backs it up.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Leslie
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

I'd say the universe is very old, and definitely has a creator as far as religious beliefs go, I'm not so sure... but I absolutely believe God is the real deal its about let the motion take its course, the ideal of something truly outstanding and awesome is out there, deep and infinite...

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

I agree with you as for Rick G i can guarantee you Jehovah's Witnesses once believed and taught a 6,000 yr age of earth. And i believe the Catholic Church might have taught a earth of a few yrs old but that was common for most christians at one time including JW's.

• BK
    Lv 6
    10 years ago

The Earth is 4.6 billion years old. Doesn't lessen God a bit.

Source(s): Christian.
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

The bottom line is only God knows how old the earth is, we don't know, scientist (regardless of their claims) don't know, religious leaders don't know, only God knows and in my opinion all we're doing is wasting time trying to solve a mystery that we were not intended to solve in the first place. If God had wanted us to know, He would have told us.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

yes but all we know is the last 6000 yrs...that isnt religious...we will find out sometime...it wont save you to know

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

I believe you are intellectually dishonest.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.