? asked in PetsDogs · 10 years ago

Pregnant Dog - Help Please?

I'm not mentioning the dog's breed or the situation she's in, not that it's bad, but I have a few questions. If I'm right, the dog got pregnant some time in March, I think the 21st. So that means she could be somewhere having the puppies right now, she could have them tomorrow, or even next week depending on how she's doing. Pregnant dogs usually find their hideaways right? We set up a bed for her, and a few other spots just in case. My cousin said that that's where the dog is going to nest. All male dogs will be away when she is in there because we have a gate set-up. Any suggestions on what we should be feeding her? Should we be walking her outside? Should we let her pee in the house when she needs to go? There are other dogs in the neighborhood, and we wouldn't want to interfere. What I do know is that pregnant dogs are protective and independent while having their puppies unless something goes wrong, and I doubt something will.

P.S. Should we let her go her own way or follow her?

This needs attention!

Thank you.

If you're curious, the dog is for sure pregnant because we saw the dogs tie and my friend told me she had a dog and it got loose, she saw another dog tie with hers, the dog had puppies and then they got her spayed.

(my cousin said the dog was going to nest in the bed, and I think so too)

the dog's pregnancy was an accident, I'm not getting her spayed now because i dont believe in that (i dont believe in spaying while dogs are pregnant). She is in good hands. Please note that I am not a professional breeder, and millions of pregnancies in dogs AND cats are accidents today. Its not like she got out loose, they tied in the house.

she's a jack russel terrier

Favorite Answer

I just want to share how I feel about this situation. 1 your female should have been spayed a long time ago. 2 you should have done this research as soon as this happened. 3 get her to a vet asap! 4 get her fixed. with all that said stop winging it you are putting your dog and all the puppies in danger. now below are some links to help, there is nothing you can do about nutrision and so on for development. hopfully you will follow these intructions. as you read this you see how much you didn't do to prepare your female. hopefully with more luck now than anything they will be ok.

Pregnant dogs need special care to ensure they are in tip top shape before the big day. A pregnant dogs body is going through many changes as the puppies are growing inside her therefore her needs are going to increase.

Before breeding your dog think about why you are breeding. There are only two reasons to breed a dog, number one is to better the breed, number two is for the love of the breed. If your dog is not up to breed standards then please do not breed her. Loving your dog is not a good enough reason, she should be the best specimen of her breed so she can pass those traits on to the puppies. Making money is not a good enough reason. Many dogs are euthanized everyday, encourage people to adopt a dog from their local animal shelter instead of buying a puppy from a breeder.

•Symptoms or signs of pregnancy -

Three weeks after mating the female dog may have an upset stomach and not want to eat for about a week to 10 days. One way to tell if your dog is pregnant is to check her vulva, the swelling would not have gone down after her heat and looks enlarged. Thirty days after being bred a blood test can be done by a veterinarian to confirm pregnancy. A pregnant dogs nipples will develop around week 5 and she will begin to look broader. At 21 days an ultrasound can be done to confirm pregnancy and at 45 days radiographs can be taken and puppies counted.

•How long is a dog pregnant -

The gestation period for dogs is 60 - 63 days. Start counting from the first time you bred her.

•Diet -

During the first 30 days of pregnancy she can eat her normal diet, as long as it is a high quality food. During the last month of pregnancy start switching her over to a high quality puppy food, make the diet change over a weeks time. Do not give vitamin supplements, a high quality food has plenty of nutrients. Also, be aware that some vitamin supplements may cause birth defects so check with your veterinarian before choosing to supplement.

•Exercise -

Take her on daily walks. It is important that she does not become overweight during this time and the walks will keep her in shape for delivery. Letting the dog run in the backyard is not equal to a walk, a walk is mental and physical exercise. During the last 3 weeks of gestation do not take her out and do not expose her to other dogs as added protection against disease.

•Vaccinations -

Do not vaccinate a pregnant dog. Some vaccines will cause abortion. Vaccinations should be given prior to breeding so that the protection can be passed to the puppies by the mothers milk.

•Whelping box -

About two weeks prior to the expected delivery start to prepare a whelping box. The box should be deep enough to contain the puppies at 4 - 6 weeks of age. Cover the box with newspapers, sheets, towels, etc. Don't use anything you are attached to, whelping puppies is a dirty business. Have enough clean towels so that during the birthing process each new puppy will have it's own clean towel.

•Body Temperature -

One week prior to whelping start taking the mothers temperature rectally. A normal dog temperature will be 100.5 - 102.5, about 24 hours before whelping her temperature will drop a few degrees. This will give you time to prepare.

•Additional information -

Never leave a pregnant dog who is about to whelp. Many dogs need help birthing puppies and in some situations a cesarean is necessary to save the life of mom and puppies.

Read more at Suite101: How To Care For A Pregnant Dog: Proper diet and exercise is important to the health of pregnant dogs. http://petcare.suite101.com/article.cfm/how_to_car...

Never leave your dog while she is whelping many mothers and litters are lost because no one was there to help during an emergency. There are three stages to canine labor:

Stage 1 - The first stage of labor you may not notice. The mother dog will become restless and may not want to eat. She will clean herself by licking her vulva. She will take frequent trips outside to urinate and defecate. You might be able to feel contractions. This first stage can last anywhere from 6 - 12 hours.

Stage 2 - During the second stage of labor she will begin panting and the contractions will be closer together. You might be able to see the contractions. Move her to the whelping box if she isn't already there. The mother dog will begin nesting behavior wher

• JenVT

Ok- don't set up a bunch of different places. Set up a whelping box in a quiet area of the house and gate it off or close the door and have her sleep in there until the pups come so she can get used to it. Make sure she is going outside on a leash only until after the pups are born otherwise her instinct will be to go to ground to have them which may mean under a neighbors porch or some other inconvenient place. Don't let her pee in the house. That is disgusting and unsanitary. Make sure you have about $1500 set aside for a c-section and your after hours vet emergency number handy. You should be feeding her high quality puppy food as much as she wants. You should have kept them separated to begin with. And you're right. A truly professional breeder would not have an idiotic accident. Get her spayed after all the pups go home.

Source(s): responsible breeder

base on my experience as a dog owner, when my pet dog was pregnant she searched for a spot where it is somehow secluded, there are some dogs where they want their owner to be right there when they are giving birth and there are some dogs who doesn't like it when they are being watched, the selected spots should be a secluded and quiet area, and if you have other pet dogs it would be much better if you keep them away from the pregnant dog during the time of her labor and the first few months of her puppies because I'm sure that she will become over protective that there will be a tendency for her to bite the dog walking near her nest.

You can follow your own way or just let the dog do its way, because the pregnant dog wouldn't take a place that she thinks that would put risk to her puppies and I'm sure she will find a good spot, there are times that the dog uses the bed or litter box given to him. The dog would also not leave her nest that easy specially on the first few days, because she is still weak from giving birth, that's why you should put her food near her but not exactly on the bed because she might bite you or the food that fell might cause the ants to come. Don't worry too much unless you think that there is something wrong that the dog itself couldn't handle.

Source(s): http://www.petbitsforyou.com/pregnant.html You should also search for other sites that tackles about dogs giving birth

You can very easily make highly nutritious food for her! I made food for my dog for a long time during and after that poisonous dog food scare. You'll need a good animal protein - Ground turkey + beef liver or ground beef + beef liver. Cook the meat thoroughly, and use a knife to chop the liver very fine. Always the liver - for the iron! (It's disgusting, so be prepared for that!) Separately, boil green beans and diced carrots with several bones. You can collect the bones from anything you eat - roast beef, fried chicken, it matters not! Just be certain that you include the bones, and even put a dash of vinegar to extract all the minerals. Take those bones out before you feed it to her! Mash everything together - we called it "Dog Stew." Do not add salt, do not use onions or garlic as these are terrible for dogs. Don't try to spice it up in any way - keep it plain! Finally, do not drain any fat, and when you use turkey, you can even add fats strained off of anything you cook for yourself - fats are extremely important for the dog's coat and also for her pregnancy. I typically made enough to fill a large stew pot - froze half and kept the rest in the fridge. You'll know how much to feed her based on her gaining weight, but not getting chubby. It's better than dry or canned, so she'll always want to eat more than she should. This totally spoiled my dog, and later I had to gradually take it away by mixing it with dry, a bit less each day until we were back to only dry. Good luck!

Start taking the dog's temperature. When it gets below 99F, most times the puppies will be born within 24 hours. Get your dog used to the area where she is to have the puppies now. Do not give her a choice. Make sure that you have your vet's number on speed dial and money in the bank just in case. As far as feeding, feed what you are feeding now and in the same amount. When the puppies are two weeks old, the amount of food will need to be increased and sometimes puppy food will need to be fed depending on the size of the litter. Nursing requires a lot of energy and calories. Take your dog outside to potty just like you always do. Finally go to your library and check out a book on whelping. Read it from cover to cover. You need all the help that you can get.

What??

You KNEW this dog became pregnant in March, but you've done NO research up to this point?

And guess what - breed DOES matter, because certain toy breeds almost ALWAYS need a C-section. Do you really have at least $1,500 sitting around for just the procedure?

What do you mean "what we should be feeding her?" You feed her a high-quality, grain-free food - she needs the extra fat and protein right now. You should have been doing that this whole time, supplemented with the occasional raw meaty bone.

YES - she still needs walks outside. NO - you do NOT let her pee in the house, why would you??

What do you mean by "there are other dogs in the neighborhood and we wouldn't want to interfere"? What does that mean? She needs to be AWAY from all other dogs.

"....unless something goes wrong, and I doubt something will." What an attitude to take towards your poor dog! Are you financially prepared for complications? Are you even aware of the signs of an emergency?

Your b*tch should have been spayed as soon as you realize that she had mated. It's not as simple as sitting around and waiting for puppies. The fact that you think it IS that simple, makes me severely worried for your dog's welfare. Please get her the veterinary assistance that she requires, and relinquish her to a no-kill shelter as soon as possible. The fact that you willfully CHOOSE to remain ignorant, instead of learning all you can from other GOOD breeders and veterinary professionals, just blows my mind. Your b*tch could easily DIE due to your ignorance.

EDIT: Ahhh . . . . so you're deliberately breeding untested, untitled mutts. I see. You need to surrender your dog immediately to a no-kill rescue so that she can receive the medical attention she desperately needs, and you need to not own any more dogs, ever again.

If you cannot use the brain God gave you and refrain from creating more genetically sick mixed breeds, when we ALREADY have literally HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of them in shelters and pounds, dying every day, then no, you are not ready for the responsibility of owning a dog.

Responsible owners have the vet confirm pregnancy

Responsible owners set up the whelping area in a climate controlled area in ONE spot. For all you know this dog could ended up giving place in a spot where you can't access easily if need be. Pick a spot and confine her to that area.

Responsible owners don't wait until the dog is do to be asking about diet, exercise and whether or not they should be so lazy as to allow the dog to piss in the house rather than just simply take her out into the yard.

Pick up the phone and consult with your vet. Get their emergency number to have at the ready if needed.

She should be on a good ALS or puppy kibble. Short walks are fine. She needs one dedicated whelping and she needs to be in there the majority of the day. No being let out into the yard unleashed and unsupervised.

ETA: See I knew it was you. Its the "we're making a new breed" chick yesterday with her uncle's FAT JRT mix and the potential chihuahua and bolognese fathers.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AinAX...

Wow.

I agree with Rayven, Single Worker, La Vita, and Jen.

You're not going to find support for being a filthy backyard breeder here. You should find all of your dogs a new home - yes, including your b*tch - if she survives this.

She is not in good hands. She's in YOUR hands, which are the most selfish, ignorant hands I've come across today (but I'm sure someone will trump you later this afternoon - after all, that's how backyard breeders and puppy mills work).

Thanks for killing more shelter dogs.

Yes when dogs are going to give birth they tend to hide away in unusual places. I knew a person who's dogs gave birth on her bed. It is good to have a birthing bed like you do.

Feed her a high quality dog food and of course a little more then usual since shes pregnant. As for the peeing in the house i wouldn't recommend it. The other dogs in the neighborhood wont bother her as long as their in gates.

You need the advice of your vet something you should of got before now your dog should of been on a high quality puppy food and no you don't let her pee in the house my advise to you is to get her to a vet and get her spayed ,if you have to ask on here then breeding is not for you