!
Lv 4
! asked in Education & ReferenceOther - Education · 1 decade ago

Can anyone summarise Steiner's Education theories/concept?

I am having a bit of trouble understanding it, and it would be great if any of you could just explain it to me.

1 Answer

Relevance
  • Lysa
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favourite answer

Well, to begin with, it pretty much boils down to reincarnation. Steiner believed that the purpose of school was to help a child's soul completely incarnate from the spirit world into their body. Everything that happens in a Steiner school pretty much is done to aid the reincarnation he believed in.

Color- Only certain colors are allowed to be used at certain ages, and every grade level has their certain color that Steiner deemed necessary and appropriate for that age. The colors are believed to possess powers that will help the child's developing soul in its journey into the new body.

Music- like with color, there are Steiner deemed song and notes that are to be used at certain ages to help the child's soul in it's reincarnation journey.

Dance- A certain kind of dance called Eurhythmy is taught to children. The movements are believed to be a sign language to communicate with the spirit world.

Bullying- When children are bullied, or are bullying someone, it is because they are working through issues from previous lives. It is therefore important to leave bullies and the ones they are bullying alone or else their incarnation into this body will not be complete.

Four Temperaments- Children are broken into 4 temperaments choleric, melancholic, phlegmatic and sanguine. The temperament a child is decided to have dictates how the teacher interacts with them, from where they sit in the room, what questions are asked of them, and what kind of work they receive.

Technology and academics- a materialistic spirit named Ahriman who alienates the human being from his spiritual roots, inhabits technological things like TVs, and computers.

Although primarily seen as a negative figure in Anthroposophy, Ahriman does have positive contributions. One of these is to bring about intellectual development therefore it is important to keep children away from away from early intellectual endeavors. When a child’s intellect develops too quickly, their soul is hardened by Ahriman.

Art - wet on wet paintings and block crayon drawings are taught to young children because the work they produce is very much like the spirit world that the children just came from. As a child ages, they are allowed to put lines into their work, to represent the fact that they are growing into this world of hard lines and straight edges.

If you want any more information, feel free to contact me.

Source(s): Lived in a Waldorf training center as well as having taught and student taught at Waldorf Schools. Here are some other sites that talk about what I just spoke about in more depth. http://www.rationalist.com.au/images/archive/84/02... http://liberalconspiracy.org/2009/07/23/pseudoscie... http://sites.google.com/site/waldorfwatch/magical-...
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.