Does the verb "to table" mean the same in both American English and British English?

I ask this because I was watching a episode of one of my favourite TV shows, and one of the characters said that "we should table this discussion for later", this seems to be in direct contrast with the use of the word "table" in Australia/Britain where it means to "put forward", such as in Parliament a bill is "tabled".

I found this to be strange, I wonder how completely opposite meanings of the same word appear?

Favorite Answer

In American English it means to set it aside for the time being. (or deal with it later) I think there are are a lot of differences like that between the two. I would even go as far as saying that American English is like a different dialect of British English. Just my opinion though.

No, they famously mean the exact opposite. The Brits and Aussies talk of laying something on the table where all will see it and do something about it, the Americans about doing so, with the implication that it will lie there and be ignored!

During World War 2 a meeting of top Allied commanders nearly broke up in a furious row because both Brits and Americans wanted urgent action on something but one side's expressing this as tabling it was misunderstood by the other side as meaning doing nothing!

Table Verb

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I ask this because I was watching a episode of one of my favourite TV shows, and one of the characters said that "we should table this discussion for later", this seems to be in direct contrast with the use of the word "table" in Australia/Britain where it means to "put...

Source(s): verb quot table quot american english british english: https://shortly.im/GOGfI

No, it definetlely doesn't, because "table" isn't an Englishverb.