Why isn't Jehovah in the Koran?

The Qur’ān tells of someone “who was deeply versed in the Scriptures.” (Al-Naml [27]:40, NJD) In explaining this verse, a commentary known as Tafsīr Al-Jalālayn says: “It was Asaph the son of Berechiah. He was a righteous man. He knew God’s greatest name, and whenever he called on it, he was answered.” But who is this Asaph the son of Berechiah who knew the greatest name of God? The Qur’ān very often advises turning back to God’s ancient books in order to obtain the answers. (See Yūnus [10]:94; Al-Naḥl [16]:43; Al-Anbiyā’ [21]:7.) These tell us that Asaph the son of Berechiah was the one who by inspiration wrote Psalm 83. (1 Chronicles 15:17; Psalm 83, superscription) Verse 18 of this psalm says: “That people may know that you, whose name is Jehovah, you alone are the Most High over all the earth.” We thereby see that “Jehovah” is the greatest name.

Asaph was not the only one who knew this great name. All the prophets whom God had inspired in the past to write the Holy Scriptures knew that name and used it. It also constitutes a part of many proper nouns, some of which we find in the Qur’ān. The name of the prophet John (Yaḥyā) means “Jehovah Has Been Gracious”; that of the prophet Elijah (Ilyās) means “My God Is Jehovah”; the name Zechariah means “Jehovah Has Remembered.”

17 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Because "Jehovah" isn't an Arabic word, nor is it a Hebrew word. There is no J in the Aleph Bet. That word would be pronounced "Yahoveh" and Yah means Salvation.

D1

Source(s): ><>
  • 10 years ago

Did you know that allah / alah is hebrew fro the curse

So God said to the snake in the garden of Eden

You are the most allah of all the livestock

Or as Paul had said if anyone gives to you a gospel that we have not preached unto you let him be allah

Paul told us t owatch out for a man or an angel giving us a false gospel

Muhammed got a false gospel from an angel

I thik paul was accurate, no wonder why islam hates him

• Andrew4 years agoReport

Rubbish! Allah is from "Al- Ilah"—"the god". Ilah is similar to the Hebrew word for "god" namely ’Elo·him, plural to denote grandeur. In Hebrew in Genesis 3:14 the Hebrew word for "cursed" is אָרוּר ’a·rur, not allah. Get your facts right! The Name Jehovah is Hebrew Yeho·wah׳ from the root howah׳.

• Most likely because the Christians and Jews that the prophet Muhammad knew in the 7th century did not use the name. Although, as you say correctly, the name Jehovah is part of the theophoric names that do appear in the Qur'an, such as Yahya and Ilyas (John and Elijah in English).

The Arabic Bible does contain God's name, as Yahwah and Yahuwah, depending on the version.

Why do people keep repeating the irrelevant quibble that "Jehovah" is not Hebrew? No one says that it is. Rather, "Jehovah" is the form of YHWH that has come down historically in English and other languages. People whose language is English use the "j" for all of the names in the Hebrew Bible that begin with "y," including John, Jesus, and others.

Further, not all scholars agree that the form "Jehovah" or "Yehowah" arose as a misreading of YHWH with the vowels of adonai ("lord"). For one thing, the vowels of Jehovah are not the same as those of adonai. For another, the form "Jehovah" or "Yehowah" can be seen in the way that the ancient Jewish historian Josephus said that the name was pronounced. "Yahweh," on the other hand, depends on ancient Greek pronunciations, not on any existing Hebrew text.

The cessation in pronouncing God's name is not mandated by the Bible, but purely by rabbinic tradition. The Bible itself is clear that God's name was freely used and pronounced by God's servants in ancient times. And it is illogical to assume that God would put His name in the Bible nearly 7,000 distinct times if He did not want it to be pronounced.

Source(s): The HOLY Bible
  • 10 years ago

The Old Testament has two principal names for God-- one is YHWH and the other is Elohim. The Quran uses the name Allah, which comes from the Arabic word ilah (god) and is similar to the Hebrew Elohim. So, for Muslims, the is no ilah (god) but Allah (God).

In any case, this is purely a discussion of semantics. A very quick read of the Old Testament and the Quran will tell you that they're both monotheistic religions worshipping the god of Abraham and Moses.

• the man4 years agoReport

Elohim is a title.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 10 years ago

My father knows very well how to discuss scriptural truths with those of the Muslim faith. I can't say I'm as efficient as he is by any long shot. I do know though, that he has been able to help Muslims understand from the Quran how to know that the Almighty God has a name. I'll find out what 'surahs' he used.

• 10 years ago

aww i was gonna say yahya.

ok, well i guess it was pretty clever of god to hide his name. makes it easier to spot the fake at this end of time. if muhammad had claimed yhwh as his god, we'd have a heap of trouble sorting the whole thing out.

if muhammad was strangled by an "angel of light" trying to set his own self up as god, this angel would never speak the name of god. claim his legacy and prophets, sure. but no name.

and historically, we can see that allah was top rock idol in mecca. yhwh was never a rock, well, only metaphorically.

• 10 years ago

Why would the name Jehovah be associated with a Book that says Jesus did not die, that Mary gave birth to Jesus under a tree, that Jesus was a " Stepping stone" for Mohommad who is said to be the " Greatest Prophet of all", that the Flood of Noah's day was Local?

• YXM84
    Lv 5
    10 years ago

Why isn't there any Arabic other name for God (Allah) in the Koran? The Bible uses the name Jehovah for the God of Israel and Jesus.

Source(s): My Two Cents.
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

The word Jehovah is a mistranslation from hebrew scriptures. In the Jewish tradition, one does not actually write the name of God out of respect, but instead writes the Hebrew leters equivilant to yhyh. Litterally, this is gibberish, but it is understood to mean God. The people who came later on and translated the Hebrew Scriptures into the literature used by Jehovah's witnesses were not aware of this tradition and read it as the actual name of God.

Source(s): An interview with the leader of a local Jehovah's Witness congregation for a recent school project.
  • 10 years ago

The Koran is written in Arabic. Jehovah is English for a Hebrew name and is written differently in Arabic. Translations do that to you.

• 3 years ago

Who Was Asaph

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.