Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareLaptops & Notebooks · 10 years ago

Core 2 Duo vs. Core i5?

Hi all,

I'm after a computer at the moment, and there are two versions available. Both with the same specs, but one has a Core 2 Duo, and one has an Core i5.

However, I want the computer as soon as possible, and the C2D model is readily available, but the i5 model is out of stock, and takes 15 working days to arrive.

The C2D option is as follows:

overclockable Overclockable Intel® Core™ 2 Duo SU7300 processor (1.3 GHz, max around 1.75GHz)

The Core i5 is as follows:

overclockable Intel® Core™ i5 520UM (1.066 GHz, max 1.866GHz)

"(i5: 1.066 GHz×2; 1.866 GHz×2 max turbo frequency) has significantly faster clock-speed than its predecessor's CPU, Intel® Core™ 2 Duo SU7300 processor (1.3 GHz×2)."

How so?

ALL other specs are the same, but these are different.

I can get the C2D NOW, or I can wait 15 working days and get the i5.

Is there THAT much of the difference between the two? I know people will say that I can get better options, etc, but this computer I want has those two options.

Can someone please explain the difference between the two, and HOW much different the two would be performance wise? Is it worth waiting 15 working days (and knowing Alienware, it will most likely take longer than that) for the i5 or what?

Thanks!!

Yes, this is a laptop. Alienware m11x, if you're wondering.

If I were you I'd just wait, especially if you don't urgently need that computer.

Eventhough the C2D has higher clock speed than i5, i5 is faster because it has 4 threads (different from cores) while C2D has only 2 threads.

The difference is around 1.3 to 1.5x

and for me, it's quite big,

but the decision is still yours.

Anyway, hope this helps :)

• reader

I5 Vs Core 2 Duo

Core 2 Duo Vs I5

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Core 2 Duo vs. Core i5?

Hi all,

However, I want the computer as soon as possible, and the C2D model is readily available, but the i5 model is out of stock, and...

Source(s): core 2 duo core i5: https://shortly.im/T6hf1

yes it's worth the wait Core i5 roughly 15% better and more energy-efficient than the previous generation Core 2 Duo chips

lol alienware! e-e-epic fail....sorry, just imo. WELL the i5 has newer technology so even though it may have slight lower clock rate it will better to get the i5 and yes it is more energy efficient and all to, and why not wait a couple weeks to get newer tech than stick with older XD. um guessing from the low clock rates im guessing its a laptop ?