How to write a novel series?

Okay, I'm planning on writing a very long and successful novel series like Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Rangers Apprentice, Deltora Quest or Eragon. I'm still young (14 male) but I've got some skill and I've been writing for nearly 2 years, and I'm determined to spend time on it. Novels like... show more Okay, I'm planning on writing a very long and successful novel series like Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Rangers Apprentice, Deltora Quest or Eragon. I'm still young (14 male) but I've got some skill and I've been writing for nearly 2 years, and I'm determined to spend time on it. Novels like Harry Potter took 10 years or more to write, and if thats what it takes, I'm prepared to spend the time.

If I was to explain the entire story, it would go for a long time, and I don't want my ideas stolen. I'm simply asking: how can I write it? Some say to just write drafts after drafts after drafts, correcting and editting, thinking of ideas and plots until eventually I've created the novel, (or first book). I've been planning, making plots and ideas, characters, places, creating the storyline for nearly a year now. The next step is to start, and I don't know how/where to begin. Any tips from others who have written novels before?